Were You Attacked and Injured by YOUR Rooster?

Were You Attacked and Injured by Your Rooster?

• I did nothing, we're okay

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I did nothing, he attacked again

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I confined him, his attitude improved

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I confined him, didn't help his attitude

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I rehomed him

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • I removed him from the gene pool (permanent)

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
I’ve got a bantam with Napoleon complex, he always attacks when I’m not looking, and if I step towards him he runs to the Turkeys. He was raised with the Tom’s and they still protect the bantams.
14D83D3B-4AA1-4EBC-B436-AD0798A7BF78.jpeg

I made the mistake a chasing him once, Turkeys hurt a little more than his strikes did….
669E7329-223B-4CE2-860C-1A9390C5A844.jpeg

I have a bad one currently, due to coop space constraints we had him loose in the yard all fall and winter. He'd hunt me down, come across the yard if he heard me come out of the house. He's spurred me a few times, this last time was mid January and I've still got scars on my leg. I ended up putting him in with some layers after that, I'll hatch a few eggs (setting this Saturday) I'll keep a pullet or two and likely freezer camp the rest. He almost got me the other day when I was collecting eggs, I opened the egg door and he came flying up the ramp into the coop and almost made it out the nesting box door at my face. I was thankfully able to slam the door shut and knock him back inside. He's constantly on the attack, through the fence, 100ft across the yard, it doesn't matter. I carried a shovel or frying pan for months, I can't feed until he goes to bed at night and I still leave the run door open and take the dog in with me. We're going to process some chickens and he will be first in line.

So, I've done nothing, carried various items for self protection, locked him up, and next step is to remove him from the gene pool.

Last edited:
I guess I have to add, I never wanted a rooster, he was a "pullet" EE from the feed store. Hubby was the only guy on the whole property surrounded by female everything, so he took to this darn rooster so we kept him. We had him in a big bachelor coop for over a year, but I got new layers last spring and needed the space. Hubby knows this rooster had to go, I've been trying to just work around the menace, but we've known for a good while now that the best and safest place for him is "mean rooster noodle casserole" lol.

I guess I have to add, I never wanted a rooster, he was a "pullet" EE from the feed store. Hubby was the only guy on the whole property surrounded by female everything, so he took to this darn rooster so we kept him. We had him in a big bachelor coop for over a year, but I got new layers last spring and needed the space. Hubby knows this rooster had to go, I've been trying to just work around the menace, but we've known for a good while now that the best and safest place for him is "mean rooster noodle casserole" lol.
Heh. My motto is "Every rooster is a good boy. Some just take extra seasoning and steam pressure."

Evidently, I've been too gentle with them doing the dominating trick. I did it two nights ago until I thought I might have injured them (they were fine). And yesterday, neither of them even looked at me funny the whole day.

Was it spurs, or nails/claws? I don't know.

My head is also bruised from the impact, sore along the hairline.

Here's my thought: the aggression won't go away if he loses his spurs. A little peck from behind would be easier to work with, but not a head on attack. I don't need the aggravation.
View attachment 3757775
Spurs are about an inch, he's a bantam.
He will be very tasty

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

Back
Top Bottom