Banded pigeon found

Thanks for the update.Could be that someone local bought it from the man in California,and he shipped it to them.Might have escaped.If it is a racing pigeon,they can fly as much as 500-600 miles in a day.On the average,200-300 miles it what most of them do.Keep us updated!!

Well, I am very pleased to relate that the lost pigeon has found its home! He was registered to a man in California with whom I finally was able to connect. He had sold some birds to a man in New Hampshire who, it turns out, lives in the next town over from me. The new owner came over last night to pick him up - he was so happy! He kept shaking my hand and tell ing me he couldn't thank me enough. He has four hens at home and this pigeon is his only male. One of his hens had just laid two eggs - he's hoping they are fertile.

The California owner told me that if I were unable to find the owner, he would send a box and airfare and he would take him back. That was reassuring.

I found out that this bird is not a racer and not a homing pigeon. He is a Portuguese Tumbler. When released these birds fly up straight, do a couple of loopy-de-loops, then freefall straight down. When almost to the ground, they reverse direction and fly straight up. A regular airshow. He was "tumbling" when he escaped. After flying straight up, he just flew off. I told the owner, "Well, he never tumbled for me - just flew back and forth between my coops." I would really like to see it some day.

I want to thank all the people on BYC who helped me find the owner. You are a wonderful group of people!

clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom