Bantam and Regular Chicks

CJkid

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Montana
We are going to be ordering some chicks this spring to add to our flock. We would like to try some new breeds (so far just have Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Red) We will be trying some meat bird breeds and maybe an Easter Egger.

But I would also like to try a bantam or two but I don't know all that much about their behavior or their needs. Can they get along with the regular sized chickens? If i order some should I order more than one bantam? Also will it be ok as a chick being raised around the regular sized chicks? I worried that it might get picked on by the other chicks, being so small. Is there anything I should know about Bantams before buying some?

Bantams are a lot of fun! I've raised them and kept them with large chickens. As long as you raise them together it should be fine. Adding bantams to a large fowl flock later would probably not work as well.

It's probably better to get a few bantams. Chickens tend to pick on anything different, so one lone bantam might become a target at some point. Also, full sized roosters can hurt a bantam, so keep that in mind if you'll have any males.

My avatar picture shows my d'Uccle bantam hen with her Black Copper Marans boyfriend. You never saw the rooster without his little bantam friend right beside him. lol

Thanks,

I have heard a lot of good things about bantams and would like to try some. I know there are several different types of bantams, do you think the D'Uccle is the best or Cochin or one of the others?

I don't if it's going to work out tho the place i like to order chicks from won't ship less than 25. I'm trying to find a way to get a hold of some to raise with the regular chicks i'm ordering. I'm not giving up just yet
fl.gif

Since I have d'Uccles I'm probably a bit biased.
wink.png
I've also had Old English Game, too. Our OEGB rooster was one of the funniest things I've ever seen - hilarious to watch! Our d'Uccles have been adorable and mostly sweet and friendly. Both of those were decent layers, too, and the d'Uccles are great mothers.

Since that's all we've had I just don't know much about the others.

There are hatcheries that do smaller minimum orders (shipping is just more). Meyer Hatchery is one of them.

Back
Top Bottom