I got a cute little Bantam and I want to know what breed it is
20180405_131805.jpg
20180405_131825.jpg
20180405_131802.jpg

Attachments

• 20180405_131805.jpg
    20180405_131805.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 2
That chick looks just like my silkie when she was little! Aside from the darker patch, t's almost identical. I am most likely wrong, but good luck!

You are super knowledgeable I see you on a lot of threads do you have a good resource you can refer me to for a beginner to learn what combs look like in chicks vs adults?

When I first started I poultry I bought every book I could get a hold of. Thus I have a shelf full lol. I found that some had a little good information and some were about totally useless. I'm from a rural area but the ole' timers around here don't know much unless your talking about Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks. Even then all they can tell you is "you order from the hatchery in the spring and butcher the old hens in late fall". There are a few people around that know poultry though. Anyhow...The APA & ABA Standards are great books to have. I believe that every person that is going to put a rooster with a hen and sell chicks should have a copy. And Storey's Illustrated Guide To Poultry Breeds is another good one. And when the internet surpassed the information in the books I used it more. Feathersite.com is a great one for reference for pictures of adults and chicks.

When I first started I poultry I bought every book I could get a hold of. Thus I have a shelf full lol. I found that some had a little good information and some were about totally useless. I'm from a rural area but the ole' timers around here don't know much unless your talking about Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks. Even then all they can tell you is "you order from the hatchery in the spring and butcher the old hens in late fall". There are a few people around that know poultry though. Anyhow...The APA & ABA Standards are great books to have. I believe that every person that is going to put a rooster with a hen and sell chicks should have a copy. And Storey's Illustrated Guide To Poultry Breeds is another good one. And when the internet surpassed the information in the books I used it more. Feathersite.com is a great one for reference for pictures of adults and chicks.
Thank you! I will order those books!

Back
Top Bottom