Bantam? Breed?

AbstractChickens

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2020
I bought 6 black w/ white pullets from Atwoods, the guy helping me said that the only categories they had were meat birds, straight run bantams, and pullets. Employee said that their hatchery didn't say what breeds and admitted that the hatchery "sucks". I also bought 6 meat birds which I regrettably housed together with the pullets. So the growing size difference between them was written off as the meat birds growing quick. They have feathered in completely and look exactly like our older chickens just miniature size. They are black with some small white areas. One of them has some white tipped feathers on her chest. They also have a green/purple sheen to their feathers In the sun. They are incredibly fun to watch and have huge personalities. They aren't cuddly but they like to perch on my legs and don't mind being pet. I got them on May 30th.

I'm mainly looking for the breed and a confirmation on being bantams. Hopefully pics work out.
20200713_203339.jpg

20200713_203356.jpg

20200713_202155.jpg
20200713_203223.jpg

I bought 6 black w/ white pullets from Atwoods, the guy helping me said that the only categories they had were meat birds, straight run bantams, and pullets. Employee said that their hatchery didn't say what breeds and admitted that the hatchery "sucks". I also bought 6 meat birds which I regrettably housed together with the pullets. So the growing size difference between them was written off as the meat birds growing quick. They have feathered in completely and look exactly like our older chickens just miniature size. They are black with some small white areas. One of them has some white tipped feathers on her chest. They also have a green/purple sheen to their feathers In the sun. They are incredibly fun to watch and have huge personalities. They aren't cuddly but they like to perch on my legs and don't mind being pet. I got them on May 30th.

I'm mainly looking for the breed and a confirmation on being bantams. Hopefully pics work out.
View attachment 2244228

View attachment 2244225
View attachment 2244241View attachment 2244245
They look a little bit like Black Cochin Bantams to me. They generally have a good docile temperment as far as I know. There are a few differences between bantams and regular chickens, one of which is that since they're smaller and lighter they can generally fly far. I once saw one fly like 20 or 30 feet, maybe more. One just recently flew over my head. This plus their smaller size can make them expert escape artists. Also, they're more prone to getting eaten by predators, regardless of their escaping ability, because they're smaller and more things can and do get them, and seem to die more in general regardless, their small size seems to make them more fragile. You should make your best effort to contain them, and I wouldn't recommend free ranging them.

They look a little bit like Black Cochin Bantams to me. They generally have a good docile temperment as far as I know. There are a few differences between bantams and regular chickens, one of which is that since they're smaller and lighter they can generally fly far. I once saw one fly like 20 or 30 feet, maybe more. One just recently flew over my head. This plus their smaller size can make them expert escape artists. Also, they're more prone to getting eaten by predators, regardless of their escaping ability, because they're smaller and more things can and do get them, and seem to die more in general regardless, their small size seems to make them more fragile. You should make your best effort to contain them, and I wouldn't recommend free ranging them.
Cochins do have feathered feet however. It may be useful to google, black bantam chickens, and see what pops up. I am not firmiliar with what you have, but cute either way.

Cochins do have feathered feet however. It may be useful to google, black bantam chickens, and see what pops up. I am not firmiliar with what you have, but cute either way.
I know Cochins have feathered feet, but their color and build makes them look like Black Bantam Cochins, they are prob a cross of some kind, but if anyone else knows another breed that's more likely then that's awesome! They certainly are cute, whatever their heritage, :)

Ok, cool! They're still with the meat birds currently so any predators will get their meal from the slow heavies. But I will be sure to remember that!

I know Cochins have feathered feet, but their color and build makes them look like Black Bantam Cochins, they are prob a cross of some kind, but if anyone else knows another breed that's more likely then that's awesome! They certainly are cute, whatever their heritage, :)
I did do some googling but everything ended up with me even more confused. Black orpingtons seemed to be the closest to their day old chick pics but from what I read black orpingtons are rare and wouldn't be 2 dollars at Atwoods. 🤷‍♀️

I did do some googling but everything ended up with me even more confused. Black orpingtons seemed to be the closest to their day old chick pics but from what I read black orpingtons are rare and wouldn't be 2 dollars at Atwoods. 🤷‍♀️
Welp, especially with bantams it seems that they sometimes give rare breeds for cheap...cause my mother ended up with Golden Laced Sebrights from tractor supply! They were on sale too! Turns out they're like one of the rarest bantam breeds out there. They are so because they're extremely difficult to breed, with hens laying generally something like 50 eggs a year and not going broody, and roos being or becoming infertile and chicks apparently dying easily. But they're such a beautiful breed, and their rarity makes them go up in value! Hers are likely mutts, but they look like the real thing! So perhaps despite their rarity, you do have Black Orps after all.

Definitely not Black Orps. Thinking Black Australorp pullets.

GL Sebrights are actually quite common.
Well when I looked them up it said otherwise...how common is common? lol If I got it wrong then I guess u can't trust the internet. But from what I found out there are less than 1000 breeding pairs in the U.S. That's got to be pretty rare, I would think.

Back
Top Bottom