Bantam Care?

I brood silkie chicks the same as I brood any other breed of chicken. They are tiny though so I guess you could kinda treat them like quail with marble waters. My adult silkies do have trouble in the winter with water freezing to their feathers so watch out for that. They have trouble free ranging because of their crests, I trim mine but that's only if you plan on free ranging them. Also, I have heard that feathers around the vent can cause some issues when poop gets stuck to them, I have only really experienced this with sick birds. Other than those things they are pretty much like a normal chicken breed. Some people think they are extremely dumb compared to other breeds and they have no survival instincts but in my experience that's again just due to their crest blocking their view. If a bird can't see then it will act pretty dumb in most situations.

The only difference I've ever noted is that bantam chicks are extremely easy to accidentally drown.... I use quail waterers until they are 1 month old because every banty I tried a normal chick waterer on drowned in it for no reason.

I've used the quail waterers also for bantams, ended up putting marbles/pebbles in them when I got a batch of "micro" Seramas. They were so cute & tiny ...

Back
Top Bottom