Bantam Cochin gender

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So, I have my little baby Zulu and her gender’s always kinda elluded me. We bought her around April 8th and always assumed she’s a hen. But her tail never went up like how most hens do and she has a bright red comb. Buuuuut she doesn’t act like a rooster. Plus we have two cockerels that hatched in May and their green tails and curled tails are coming in so.....?
24234466-C802-47AD-A238-12D827A71BD0.jpeg
2F0D5B02-7438-4B69-BD76-25597AA3F098.jpeg

Big wattles say cockerel. Possibly subordinate, so doesn't crow yet?

My cochin kids, 5/13 hatch.
Sir Chonk, cockrel.View attachment 1883133
Mahogany, pullet.View attachment 1883134
Duckie, pullet.
View attachment 1883135
Nope. I’d say it hatched first week of April last week of March. So, that puts it at roughly four and a half five months. I also had two Olive egger cockerels that got red at like month two so that was another head scratcher. Doesn’t do the clucking almost chittering thing my other boys do. It doesn’t have the attitude of the average roo either, super shy, submissive, follows me around like a ducking even when I offer food (in their defense they were just integrated with the rest of the flock and is the only bantam). Also what does subordinate mean?

"Subordinate" is just not the head rooster, could be # 2 or 3 or...
My cochin boy is super shy, and stays out of the way of both my head rooster and my boss hen. Mixed flock, yaay!

Mine are a couple weeks behind yours (sorry about the lighting, I ran out and took those at 8:15pm eastern). I can definitely Italy tell you that Chonk has been super slow to feather in compared to the ladies. None of them have any real tail to speak of, compared to like the Spitzhauben hatched the same age.

Possibly post Zulu's picture on the cochin breed spotlight and see what they say?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-cochin.977805/

"Subordinate" is just not the head rooster, could be # 2 or 3 or...
My cochin boy is super shy, and stays out of the way of both my head rooster and my boss hen. Mixed flock, yaay!

Mine are a couple weeks behind yours (sorry about the lighting, I ran out and took those at 8:15pm eastern). I can definitely Italy tell you that Chonk has been super slow to feather in compared to the ladies. None of them have any real tail to speak of, compared to like the Spitzhauben hatched the same age.

Possibly post Zulu's picture on the cochin breed spotlight and see what they say?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-cochin.977805/
Ahh I already have four subordinate roosters heheheh. In my defense I can’t control straight run bins and two hatchings. Annnnd I don’t have the heart to get rid of any of them. I’ve never had any issues between the boys. Hopefully my next batch of Bantams will be more successful and Zulu will have some friends more its size MMMM just realized this and didn’t feel like retyping the whole thing. I’ll just watch how Beanie behaves around him/her. Beanie (the number two boy) has one hen and always tries to introduce himself like the sweet awkward thing he is to all the new girls, it can be a little painful to watch. Like watching your son introduce himself to a girl and he’s a total dork but you have to be supportive anyways XD. Thank you for the link and for all your help! And your pictures are beautiful lol.

These are my first cochins, and they are hilarious! Ended up with like 8 of them out of a hatchery rare order and these 3 never found homes...
Probably because I hid them...
Anyway! Yes, I have a silkie rooster that was exactly that same way when he was younger.
No, strike that, he is still like that. Goof can't tell head from tail of the silkie girls, it is painful and so funny!

I love all of my roosters too, and keep as many as I can. And really, with a 50% chance of a rooster the odds are almost stacked against the poor things!

These are my first cochins, and they are hilarious! Ended up with like 8 of them out of a hatchery rare order and these 3 never found homes...
Probably because I hid them...
Anyway! Yes, I have a silkie rooster that was exactly that same way when he was younger.
No, strike that, he is still like that. Goof can't tell head from tail of the silkie girls, it is painful and so funny!

I love all of my roosters too, and keep as many as I can. And really, with a 50% chance of a rooster the odds are almost stacked against the poor things!
I’d like to add that Beanie is a silkie mix....these dang fluff balls are too precious. We currently have a barred rock roo of unknown age, Beanie, about a year and a half, a broiler too who’s still going strong at five months, and a Beanie/Rhode Island red and Barred rock/ Rhode Island Red cockerel that are about three months. And I would also hide birds heheh. There are some that you just can’t let go. This is why I can never foster any animals because I’d just adopt them all.

Back feathers are saying Cockerel to me!
Yeah I just thought of that a few hours ago. BTW your username is so cute. Ah well time to add the sixth roo to my collection. You’ll be hearing from me again soon. I have three naked necks and three silkies that I’ll need help sexing since they’re like the two hardest to tell. Mwahahaha the cycle never ends.

Back
Top Bottom