Bantam Cochin Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LavendarFeather, May 31, 2012.

1. LavendarFeather

LavendarFeather Songster

May 24, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]This is a little "impulse chick" I picked up at a feed store because it was so tiny and cute. Looked like it was wearing UGG boots. I didn't know what color it was going to be or anything. I thought black, but it appears maybe blue? And it looks like a boy to me, too, but I know nothing about Cochins. I think he's about 5 weeks old.
    Any guesses as to sex?

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I just found your post! - I think it may be a roo, based on the slight pink comb...But, I'm new to Cochins.....

3. downsm75

downsm75 Songster

Apr 23, 2012
    Louisville Ky
    :/I have one that is is 3 weeks old and I KNOW he's a he. He is already attempting to crow. His comb is a bright pink and bigger than your chicks comb. We named mine Chuck Norris because it looks like he has bell bottoms on

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Blue Bantam Cochin, looks like a pullet, a cockerel would have a much bigger comb by now.

5. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Wow, he's an early starter!

My single little cochin chick was with a group of SFs..... I'm thinkin' it's a she, at 3 1/2 weeks it doesn't show much comb color and it's stance is more horizontal/relaxed than upright.... I'm hoping it's a Lemon Blue pullet, then I'll have a trio of beautiful yard art!!

6. LavendarFeather

LavendarFeather Songster

May 24, 2012
    Thanks all! I am starting to think pullet now as well. The comb had alarmed me--seemed very developed compared to my other chicks (different breeds). But in the past week it doesn't seem to have grown any. It's definitely pink, but the pics I'm seeing of cockerels of this breed have very RED combs.

And are you sure you named yours Chuck Norris for his bell bottoms, and not his machismo? :)

7. downsm75

downsm75 Songster

Apr 23, 2012
    Louisville Ky
    lol He's a sweetie. But knows his job already. I have two bigger chicks that are about a month older. When they get near, he "croaks" at his lil ladies and they all run for cover. Maybe it has to do with his manlyism.
    I also have a Polish that I named Kat Williams. She is the smallest and LOUDEST.

8. LavendarFeather

LavendarFeather Songster

May 24, 2012
    Fun names! My Silkie crowed for the first time this morning. I'm so proud :) But not sure if I can keep him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: