Bantam Cochin thread.

Oh boy! I'm super excited for 3 mottleds! Especially the blue, how fun! I might try and post some more pics in a week and see if you still think mottleds, if you don't mind? Lol, I'm definitely hooked on these little fluffs! I looked up the calico color since I've never heard of that and WOW! Those are so pretty! I don't suppose you've got any tips for telling pullets from cockerels? With so many birds you've got to have the experience! Lol! Thanks again for the help! :)

Sorry no tips on sexing them. I just wait till their comb comes in. And even then some that I swear are boys have been girls.
I do have alot but im no top show quality breeder by any means. I have nice quality and buy from breeders who do show or sell for show. I just love the breed and do breed for local sales but thats it. Just im hooked! Lol
All the chicks I have I wont keep all. I will retain probably about a doz or so and everything else will either be sold off for pets, to friends of mine, or my f-in-law will take as he loves them too.
I love their lil personalities and after a stressful day, I spend all evening with them as I enjoy watching them. I have all kinds of colors but mostly the calicos as im pretty smitten to that color.
I have 19 mottled babies and a few month olds and 5 adult mottleds currently. I only plan on keeping 3 or 4 babies pending how they mature and spot out. ♡

Watch them grow and the fun part is the spots coming in.

My new cochin chicks. Any guesses on colors? I'm new to cochins but love the feather leg breeds.

Ok now
I thought a cochin is a diff name for pekin...

My cochin bantams are all diff sizes from tiny to small.

I thought the tiny ones where just runts nothing else.

Fill me in on the difference :)

Hi

From what I can gather there are no Pekins in the USA - they have the Cochin Bantams which are slightly different.
I can't tell you very much about Cochins but I will ask for you to google "The Pekin Bantam Club of Great Britain" and you can read all about our PEKINS. You then will be able to compare them with your Cochins.
Let me know how you get on.

Hi

From what I can gather there are no Pekins in the USA - they have the Cochin Bantams which are slightly different.
I can't tell you very much about Cochins but I will ask for you to google "The Pekin Bantam Club of Great Britain" and you can read all about our PEKINS. You then will be able to compare them with your Cochins.
Let me know how you get on.

Thanks! Im gonna check it out as im curious. ... ♡

Pekins and Cochin bantams are the same breed and some countries call them Pekins while other countries call them Cochin bantams
I think
1f60a.png

~~The Pekin is a True bantam, a breed of miniature chicken which has no large fowl counterpart. They are rather round-shaped, and their carriage tilts forward, with the head slightly closer to the ground than their elaborate tail feathers. This 'tilt' is a key characteristic of the Pekin. The bird on the whole, though the tail especially, should be abundantly feathered, and well rounded. The cockerels often have longer feathers that protrude outwards from their feet. The range of Pekin colours is extensive, and the list is continually growing. Rarer colours are in great demand, and many breeders spend much time perfecting new lines of colours in their birds. Frizzled Pekins are common. Pekin Bantams are very docile, and with careful and regular handling they make ideal pets, especially for families with younger children. However, the Pekin bantam cocks can still be aggressive and defensive of their territory.

I believe that in the USA, you do have a large counterpart - the Cochin, whereas it states above - The Pekin is a True Bantam - has NO large counterpart.

Back
Top Bottom