Bantam Cochin thread.

I keep waiting for them to grow lol but I swear they are the same size as they were when I brought them home!!! They are darling my kids favorite they follow us around like puppies! The white does seem braver always the first to show up then comes Sofia looking and squeaking so cute!

Hi,

I'm new to this thread. I'm in the Santa Cruz CA area, and we are looking for a few bantam Cochin hens, We are so full up with roos, we are just one beyond capacity. After no one bit here at BYC, I resorted to listing him on Craigslist.

Back to bantam Cochins. Can someone direct me towards someone in reasonable driving distance?

I saw a photo of a gorgeous bantam Cochin-- blue over splash.

Thank you.

Wow, that is a challenge. Not the same as introducing a new girl.

I am trying something at my house for some of my young bantams that may work for you.

I have 6 big girls, 4 cochins and 10 young bantams that are trying to move into the main coop. They have a coop they were brooded in but are interested in the main coop now. It is not a big coop and some of the bantams were allowed in but then 2 big girls and one of the cochins started pecking the youngsters. I pulled the "mean girls" out and put them into the brooder and put the bantams into the main coop with the ones that were nice.

I am hoping that without the troublemakers, the others will accept and allow the youngsters to integrate into the group. Later I will let the others back in and see if they behave.

I did something like this with another hen who was being too aggressive and by isolating her for a while, it seems she lost status and was not allowed to bully others when she joined the group again.

I will keep you updated
Been so crazy here I forgot to update. Had to put mean girls into the 4x4 foot brooder several nights and then 1 at a time let them roost in the big coop. Little by little 7 bantams started going into the big girls coop at night. My only holdouts are 2 EE girls and their rooster. They seem to think they are special to go in at night. The others all roost in the coop now.

I sold all my roosters & things have calmed down quiet a bit. The cochin still keeps a sharp eye on the big hens. I just got her a diaper so she can come inside - she spends a good deal of time under the carport waiting for me to come out so I figured what the heck. My daughter is getting a Brinsea automatic incubator for Christmas (and mom is too excited!) and hopefully cochins will be our first hatch. Any advice on buying fertile eggs? On average do cochin eggs have a good hatch rate?

Hi, does anyone know of crosses of colours of pekins to produce pure colours? For example, blue cross black will produce blue and black offspring. Are there any more of this type of crosses?
Ive heard that black cross chocolate will produce black and chocolate offspring but what percentage of each are produced?

I just got two 8 week old babies today and they are AWESOME I fell in love with them when I saw them and they are my favorite members of my flock by far!!! Only prob is not sure if I have two Roos :(
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Ok I would love for them to stay this size forever but I'm starting to get concerned. They literally look the exact same as when I brought them home are they slow maturing birds?

Back
Top Bottom