bantam coop build

Megs

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
so i need a new/separate coop for my polish bantam pair as they have been in my chick grow out coop/run with the rest of the youngins, but they are now 6 months old and the pullet is laying, im separating so i can incubate pure eggs, and because the rooster is being picked on a bit because of his affro (was hoping it could wait until spring when the weather was nicer, but now is the time!!) so im building it by myself and am pretty happy with the results so far!! the materials are pre-used stuff i scrounged online for free! using just a hammer and a circular saw this is what i have created in 5 hours....

it is 4'X4' and is 4' tall in the back and 5' tall in the front, will have a pop hole for the chickens and a 2' wide 4' tall door for me!

frame...
coopbuild006.jpg

coopbuild007.jpg

coopbuild010.jpg

starting to skin with plywood
coopbuild011.jpg

coopbuild012.jpg

if the weather is decent tomorrow i will be out there finishing the plywood exterior (walls/roof) covering the roof in tar paper shingles, installing perches/nesting box and putting on the door on the side!! this is my first attempt at building a coop, aside from remodeling a few dog houses into coops (which didnt entail much, re-roofed, build stands to get em off the ground, add perches, paint etc), my dad/bf made my other few coops.

ill update pics once more is done!

ok so after about 7 total hours of work here it is again! building outside in freezing temps is fun...not. i will be installing a heat lamp for this coop to hang above the perches, i had to use the materials on hand so the plywood isnt as thick as i would have like, and i wont be insulating it right now, maybe at a later time if the chickens need it.

coopcont002.jpg

coopcont006.jpg

coopcont008.jpg

i know its not perfectly square and some of my cuts were a bit wonky, but its my first attempt so im pleased enough.

paint wont dry at -5 will it? lol, it will look so much better once its painted to match the rest of my coops but that has to wait until spring, and i get the roof/door on, but those are a tomorrow project.

Last edited:
That is a mighty good looking first time build to me. Great Job.
woot.gif

PLEASE EVERYONE
bow.gif
VOTE FOR OUR GIRL ANNE
frow.gif
Right now would be a good time. PLEASE!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom