Bantam Coop

Burbchickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
I have been building a coop for 4 Bantams. Its almost done but just wanted to show my progress. I have a small yard and needed a coop that worked. I figured it out as I went and most importantly... my wife approves. Thank you guys for all the information on this site. It really helped.

Garage is a mess sorry. I am also remodeling my bathroom. Hence the toilet in background
DSC04046.jpg

This side opens up for easy cleaning
DSC04047.jpg

DSC04051.jpg

Nest box does not have divider. They will have to share
DSC04049.jpg

I used hardware cloth for the floor. I will cover with newspaper and use the DL method
DSC04050.jpg

I plan on shortening it up. I kept it tall so it would be easier to work on. This project turned out to be about $100 dollars, including hardware cloth. I used pine siding from home depot which did about a wall and a half for 8 bucks each pack. I also used 2x2 ($1.86 each), 1x2($0.86 each) for framing and a left over 2x4. Its still light enough for me to pick up. I wanted it mobile for cleaning and I plan on attaching a run later.

Hope this helps others with big hopes for a small coop.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am planing on adding a little more ventilation by adding a few holes. This project took longer than expected, it probably would have gone faster if I had used plywood but I really liked the look of the pine and it was cheap.

Oh I just love it! Can you come build me one for my 3 Frizzle Bantams?

I think I am retiring from mini coop building after I finish this one. I can cheer you on as you build one:p

Last edited:
Nice! I love the way one whole wall opens up, which will make the coop easy to clean...so you'll be more likely to clean it.

I just spent the morning cleaning our budgies' wire cage, and I have our linneolated parakeets' wire cage left to do this afternoon. I hate wire cages.

It's Just LOVELY!!
love.gif

I like the way that you put numerous coats of paint on it BEFORE it's used--I do that!!

Are you going to put in any roosts? Where will they be?

Did you design this yourself, or were you inspired by somebody OR, did you get plans for it? I don't think I've seen another small coop like this on BYC before.

Definitely, ROCK ON!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom