Bantam crowing

Chuckkeeper

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Hi
This chap has been sexed in the gender forum. Unfortunately the majority thinks he's a roo :(
He's now 13 weeks. When can I expect a crow?
He's a pekin bantam, and if he's too loud, he'll need a new home :(
Has anyone here tried crowing collars? Are these worrying in terms of health or welfare?
Thanks

IMG_20200801_131451.jpg
IMG_20200801_131456.jpg
IMG_20200801_131455.jpg
IMG_20200803_203949.jpg
IMG_20200801_131431.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200805_140311.jpg
    IMG_20200805_140311.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200803_204720.jpg
    IMG_20200803_204720.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 5
this is simply my opinion but I don't think it is right to not let them crow it is natural for them. It is like using a no bark collar on a dog. Also, I have read that crow collars can be dangerous even if you use them right and has killed roosters before. you can find some threads about crow collars killing roos on back yard chickens. They also don't always work and usually only cut the noise in half, sometimes they do work but I say again I don't think it is right even if it doesn't end up hurting them.

this is simply my opinion but I don't think it is right to not let them crow it is natural for them. It is like using a no bark collar on a dog. Also, I have read that crow collars can be dangerous even if you use them right and has killed roosters before. you can find some threads about crow collars killing roos on back yard chickens. They also don't always work and usually only cut the noise in half, sometimes they do work but I say again I don't think it is right even if it doesn't end up hurting them.
Thank you. That's very helpful ❤️

your welcome just wanted to make sure that your roo stays safe and happy. if he does end up crowing a lot there are natural ways to stop him from crowing so much [nothing can really stop them from crowing completly] you can find info about that on backyard chickens and google. :thumbsup
Me too. I've read about darkening the house and leaving food in there. I'd be so sad to give him up (and that's assuming I could find him a home). The next alternative would be even worse!

My little bantams crows are not nearly as loud as my Rhode Island Red roosters crow is. His is like a deep bass crow that the neighbors can definitely hear. My little cochins are quieter by far but still make themselves heard. I don't know how close your neighbors are, but I can't see it really bothering them. But then, I have guineas and simply love listening to their big mouths 😂😂😂.

My little bantams crows are not nearly as loud as my Rhode Island Red roosters crow is. His is like a deep bass crow that the neighbors can definitely hear. My little cochins are quieter by far but still make themselves heard. I don't know how close your neighbors are, but I can't see it really bothering them. But then, I have guineas and simply love listening to their big mouths 😂😂😂.
Great news and very helpful indeed :) I am lucky that my RIR is a pullet and it was the bantam that turned out to be a roo (and the only one out of my 8 birds; still fingers crossed but the BY community seem fairly sure the rest are pulls). They're about 80ft I think.

Me too. I've read about darkening the house and leaving food in there. I'd be so sad to give him up (and that's assuming I could find him a home). The next alternative would be even worse!
If you do end up trying to find him a new home you can post on the buy sell trade forum of backyard chickens and yes not every rooster finds a new home but a lot do! I posted my roo
[which I really didn't want to give away because I was so fond of him but had too] on backyard chicken and Facebook and found him a nice home in a a week!🙂

Here's my 8. Hopefully just one roo!
IMG_20200801_090734.jpg
IMG_20200806_084825.jpg
IMG_20200801_090927.jpg
IMG_20200803_203949.jpg
IMG_20200801_091143.jpg
IMG_20200803_204957.jpg

Back
Top Bottom