Bantam digging and rolling in dirt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennyhaschicks, May 30, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    The past few days have been nice so I have been taking my chicks (4 weeks old) outside off and on. They like my gardens. My one Jap. Bantam goes crazy. She digs and rolls in the dirt like crazy. She will get in the hole she dug and throw up dirt like crazy. What in the world is she doing? She appears to just like the feel of the dirt and tries to get comfy in the hole.
    Anyone care to explain? She is the only one that does this btw.

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    They will all do that, it is called dust bathing.

3. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Ok I have heard of that and it crossed my mind. It had us laughing none the less.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The first time one of my birds did that I thought she was having convulsions and ran out screaming her name...She was very disgusted with me.

5. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    The dust baths also help with control mites and lice. Its great to always provide an area for this in your run if possible . It is fun to watch. Mine will go to sleep half buried in the dirt! [​IMG]

6. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Mine was sleeping in the dirt too. That was until my four year old son picked her up. [​IMG]

7. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    My hens love to dig holes and bath themselves in the dirt. Sometimes they even sleep in the holes they make. They are all really funny to watch. [​IMG]

8. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    If you place a 5 gallon pail of sand in one of the holes they will only dig one hole. I had holes all over the yard till I tried that trick. John

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:so if my chickens are doing this does it mean they have lice or mites?

10. ChickyBabe

ChickyBabe Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    Wisconsin
    no chickens nominally do it to get cool or dusty [​IMG]
    [​IMG] (<-me)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by