Bantam EE breeding project (asking for a friend)

Interesting, so it will just take longer breeding back to offspring to get the size is what I'm assuming.
Also want to make sure that breeding siblings isn't going to be a problem? I think I know the answer but had to double check. šŸ˜
Full siblings are the best way to lock in the best and worst traits since they're so similar already most times. Parent to offspring or somethi bff similar is really the closet you want to go unless you know what you're doing and don't mind having to cull heavily when bad traits start popping up

Not sure what you mean, by breeding one roo would be better.
She has two bantam roosters, a White Tailed Black Japanese bantam, and another who's breed I'm not certain. I was just wondering if it mattered which rooster we used for the cross. Or if one with tied better results.
Thanks so much for your help everyone! I am a total newbie to breeding hahaha!

Full siblings are the best way to lock in the best and worst traits since they're so similar already most times. Parent to offspring or somethi bff similar is really the closet you want to go unless you know what you're doing and don't mind having to cull heavily when bad traits start popping up
Got it. So breeding siblings to siblings or back to parents is the best way to go. I know she's not against culling, but culling as little as possible is preferred. We'll do what we have to do though.
Thank you! This has been really helpful.

Out of those, breed parent to offspring. Only breed siblings together if youre willing to cull heavily shpuld some bad gene get locked in
Got it. So breeding siblings to siblings or back to parents is the best way to go. I know she's not against culling, but culling as little as possible is preferred. We'll do what we have to do though.
Thank you! This has been really helpful.

Oh, okay.

They can probably experiment with both, to see who produces the smallest offspring.
Cool! I'll probably start a thread about the project and see how it goes. Mostly for my own ease of being able to have all of the information in one place, and having a thread about it specifically if I have any questions.
Thank you! I'll post pictures of both roo's either here or in the other thread.
This will be my first effort at AI as well, so I'll see how it goes. šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜¬

Cool! I'll probably start a thread about the project and see how it goes. Mostly for my own ease of being able to have all of the information in one place, and having a thread about it specifically if I have any questions.
Thank you! I'll post pictures of both roo's either here or in the other thread.
This will be my first effort at AI as well, so I'll see how it goes. šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜¬
Okay, sounds good.

I'll be attempting to go the AI route in next years breedings. My Malays are a bit hefty to breed a regular large hen.

Another factor to consider. The EE hens have been in a run with a young Jubilee Orpington rooster. Not really sure how old, but old enough to mate laying hens. She hasn't seen him mate, but of course that doesn't me he hasn't been.
Assuming the the EE's have been mated by him, will his genes affect the hatch? I'm guessing I'll have some eggs that were fertilized by him, and some eggs fertilized by the bantams. Should we separate her and wait until the hens are no longer carrying his semen? I believe I've read its 30 days, is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom