Bantam EE vs Large EE

nine9d

Songster
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Beacon, N.Y.
Hello everyone, I am new here and just wanted to ask some questions.

I know there is a size difference between Bantam and regular sized fowl, but is there any other difference?
Like egg production and size. Egg coloration? I like the blue eggs.
Temperment?
Is there a good amount that I should start with? 5, 10?
Is there a downside to getting these chicks?

I will not be buying chicks until next season, is one time of the season better then another? I live in N.Y. I really like the EE and the more I delved into them, I liked the look of the Bantam.

Thanks and sorry for the jumbled post.

- Ross

Hi Ross!

Your bantam eggs would be smaller, but that's about it. If you're eating the eggs yourself, that should be OK with you....You would just use more eggs for a recipe or your breakfast.

The nice thing about bantams is you can have more of them, because they don't need as much space as the large fowl.

I have a bantam coop, and a hen house for the large fowl. I love them both.....Truthfully, I like the bantams a bit more, but then I have a few turkeys too, and so I guess I like all sizes of poultry.

Hope this helps,
Sharon

I had a few bantam ee's and a few standards. I loved the bantams temperment much better then the standard sized birds. Both my bantam hens were great mamas and very productive when they were laying. They both passed from internal laying issues that were beyond fixing
sad.png

Hey chicmom,
Do you have any pics of your bantam coop? When you say I can keep more, I was initially thinking to keep 4 or 5 chickens. Being these are much smaller than regular size chickens, would that mean I should keep 10? I don't want to keep too many that I can't handle.

Chickenaddict, so sorry to hear about your loss. Are you planning on getting any more?

Quote:
Hey Ross!

I'm at the office now, but when I get home, I'll take a pic of my bantam coop for you. My coop said I could keep up to five large fowl chickens in the advertisement, or 8 bantam sized chickens. Now, I had Modern Game bantams in there once, and they're soooo tiny, I had 9 in there with no problem. Right now, I have five bantams of various breeds in there, but they're a little bigger than the Modern Games. I've got 2 Polish bantams, 2 frizzle Cochin bantams, and one Silkie in it. I feel I could probably add three more bantams with no problem.

So I do think you can almost double the amount ofchickens you can keep if they're bantams, depending on the breed, and still keep them comfortable. I try not to crowd my coops too much because here in Ohio, the winters are fierce, and the flock tends to be locked up more. Especially the bantam flock because the snow can get very deep.

Thanks. I look forward to seeing the pics.

Can anyone else help me out here with some of my questions above?

Is there a good time of the season to order chicks?

What is your take on the bantam ee's?

Back
Top Bottom