Bantam flock with multiple roosters and cockrels

janiedoe

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
I started my bantam flocks last year. I currently have two flocks with multiple chicks and teens, and more on the way. (Raised by broodies)
I'd like to keep some of my new male chicks.
I want to know how y'all manage your flocks with multiple bantam roosters.

I'm interested in knowing:
1. how many roosters/cockerels you keep per hen/pullet.
2. How old they are.
3. What breeds they are.
4. Whether they are housed together, ranged together, or kept seperately at all times.

I kept two bantam roosters with the following combination: two bantam hens and seven large fowl hens. It worked fine for us. One rooster was dominant, and the other was pretty easy going. We never had issues.
Thank you for the input.
I had two with 3 bantam girls and 1 large fowl girl. I rehomed one (bantam brahma) with the large fowl girl. The roosters got along great but the big girl was a b**** to the bantam hens. I think the other rooster (oegb) in that pen will do fine with another rooster.
The other pen has a frizzle cochin. He did not get along with the oegb, but I'm hoping he will do well with one or two of his sons.

I have a similar question. We have 4 roosters and 4 hens about 13 weeks old. They are a close knit flock, but all have very distinct personalities. We are quite attached to all of them. I know who top dog is, but it would be emotionally wrenching now to part with the other roos. I'm also worried things will get dangerous in a couple weeks. Right now they are all sleeping in a little pile, sort of like kittens. If we let 3 roosters free range during the day away from the flock, could we allow them to sleep together in the same shed at night or would they fight? Or do the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in command need their own shed and run? If we did get a separate shed and build a new run, would it be worth creating two flocks by having 2 roos in each pen and adding more hens?

This worked for a while 3 Marans roosters and 4 hens. Major left Oswald to look after the hens and the other rooster wandered off somewhere never to be seen again. This was Tribe 1 a long time ago. they all lived together and were all related but in what way I don't know.
2004908-c7969122fd1b2daccf3f63f1d0dc5485.jpg

This is Tribe 2, all bantams of various mixtures. They were all related Grandfather, Father and son. No problems between the males really. Grandfather and the senior hen Bluespot wouldn't put up with any nonsense.
Number of hens varied from 3 to 7.
2236778-ffb8ddf325ed5a646b33103b019ecd58.jpg

This worked for a while 3 Marans roosters and 4 hens. Major left Oswald to look after the hens and the other rooster wandered off somewhere never to be seen again. This was Tribe 1 a long time ago. they all lived together and were all related but in what way I don't know.
View attachment 3540708
This is Tribe 2, all bantams of various mixtures. They were all related Grandfather, Father and son. No problems between the males really. Grandfather and the senior hen Bluespot wouldn't put up with any nonsense.
Number of hens varied from 3 to 7.
View attachment 3540709
That gives me hope.

That gives me hope.
It's probably a generalization but I found bantams there in Catalonia and those who I know who keep English game crosses (various) were pretty good at sorting out their social constructions. The senior cock rarely gets challenged and the juniors take the role of juvenile minders with an eye to trying to claim any new pullets that might be interested in them. Despite being quite regular egg layers feather damage from too much sex was never an issue and at one point a I had more cocks than hens.
What keepers say is the bantams haven't been messed about with by breeders as much as the full sized breeds and this has meant low ratio hens to cocks often works well because that is their natural state.
Good luck with it. I admired the bantams I've looked after for their independance without being a problem if one had to handle them.

It's probably a generalization but I found bantams there in Catalonia and those who I know who keep English game crosses (various) were pretty good at sorting out their social constructions. The senior cock rarely gets challenged and the juniors take the role of juvenile minders with an eye to trying to claim any new pullets that might be interested in them. Despite being quite regular egg layers feather damage from too much sex was never an issue and at one point a I had more cocks than hens.
What keepers say is the bantams haven't been messed about with by breeders as much as the full sized breeds and this has meant low ratio hens to cocks often works well because that is their natural state.
Good luck with it. I admired the bantams I've looked after for their independance without being a problem if one had to handle them.
I think the little oegb will handle his sons pretty well.
The little frizzled cochin can't get along with the oegb, so is housed seperately. He is also not so good with my standard rooster. He constantly challenges him. Fortunately the big guy gives him as much consideration as he does a gnat.
I may sell the cochin, and his male offsprings and keep only the oegb cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom