Bantam hatching time?

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hiya!

It's day 8 for my Mille Fleur eggs in my bator, and I saw a couple things about bantam eggs hatching in the teens of the countdown. Is that true? Do I need to lockdown days 16/17?

TIA!

Watch your air cells closely once you get to about day 14. Crank up the humidity as soon as you see any drawdown in the air cell.
I have hatched several sets of porcelain d’uccle in the past 2 years, and they always hatch by day 20. I’ve had them hatch as soon as 19. Same for Seramas. My bantam Cochins usually go all the way to late day 20, into day 21. So I wouldn’t really make a blanket statement about all bantams.
Disclaimer - I run my temp on the warm side, like 100 instead of 99.5, so early hatching is expected if temps are a bit warmer. I just seem to have better hatches that way.

I always lockdown my bantam eggs on the night of day 18 or morning of day 19. I’ve never had a bantam hatch early. Late sure but who hasn’t had chicks hatch a day or two late. I’ve only hatched silkie bantams and Cochins though. I actually just had four bantam eggs pip internally then die because I locked them down too early. My incubator was running low and I misjudged the look of the development inside the egg. So I would suggest locking down on time. Or getting to know the look of the developmental stages. I thought I knew it but looking at these bantam eggs was different for me for some reason.

From what I've heard it does depend on what bantam breed. Some are true bantams, others are minitures of bigger breeds so I cannot comment on all bantams.
I did some research beginning of the year when I started my first bantams and the answers I found were pretty much 50/50 yes/no
The first ones I incubated hatched on the 19th day, the next lot were day 20 and 21 but I felt they were a bit weaker and hatched late.
I still need to hatch more and try different variables to get a better idea but I think most should hatch on day 20 (although again it might be different for miniture breed bantams that originate from birds that have a 21 day incubation period)
PS: I've been locking down on day 17

Back
Top Bottom