Bantam Hen Can't stand up PLEASE HELP!

laura g

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 11, 2008
Hello,

I had a bantam hen and roo and monday morning the roo was taken by mr fox. My hen was found alive, unscathed and well that morning and so i have kept her in the past two nights, I have her in a box on some newspaper and hay, this morning i found her lay on her side with her legs splayed out in front of her. She is about 24 weeks old and has been panting a lot since monday, she is eating and drinking well and is bright, clear eyed and alert. Her droppings are green and white and she has been drinking tap water. Her feed is corn and grain and i have popped a little poultry spice in there for her, she also has mixed grit with oystershell.

She can use her legs from the elbow up, her claws are sickled and she has a few cuts on the elbows (I assume from where she has been trying to move around).

What can I do to help her? Does anyone know what this is-if it is just the shock or some infection etc?

Thanks for reading...

laura xxx xxx

For starters, electrolytes for shock and panting - right away. You can find info about that here in BYC with a search - homemade recipe as well as store bought. A bitof Pedialyte ina pinch.
Can also give Rescue Remedy - a drop or two in a water bowl for her - known for its calming effect.
There are dietary issues that need to be tended to likely unrelated to her current problem since the fox is the immediate cause of trauma. I don't see mention of a nutritionally rounded food. What do you mean by poultry spice?
Can give her 3 drops of Polyvisol (for kids) daily for the next week to try to bolster her nutritionally. Dribb;e very slowly along her beak line so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke.
JJ

Thanks so much for your quick response...Poultry spice is only a mineral supplement (she does not have this every day) it contains protein, oil, fibre, ash, calcium, iron, potassium and magnesium. I have given some to her today.

Her daily feed is mixed poultry corn and mash, bought from a country store. Do you think it is diet that has affected her legs? She has a good appetitie but i think she may only be eating when i hand food to her, i have seen her drink of her own accord though.

Is it the best thing to keep her indoors?

Many thanks! Your advice has put my mind at ease!

best wishes

Laura

In addition to the electrolytes (which she needs very badly right now), I will add that green stools is a sign that she is not eating enough. Eliminate any corn and try some other foods (yogurt, oatmeal, hard boiled egg yolks). You need to get her eating and drinking fast.

Jody

Hi Laura, She will need to be kept indoors while unable to walk but very closely supervised outings in the sun on fresh grass with any other buddies she may have may cheer her up (making sure she doesn't get too hot or too tired out, since it sounds like she would have trouble changing locations on her own).
It's hard to know whether she sustained an injury from the fox but it sounds like it, given the timing.
If she has infection she'll likely need antibiotic pronto.
If there is any possibility of an avian vet, I would get her seen right away in case an injury needs treatment.
Topical neosporin on cuts .
Does she seem to be in pain?
Jj

Thanks for both of your comments Jj and Jody, I am on the case with oatmeal and egg yolks, she is munching away.

I don't think she is in pain as i can touch her legs and she doesn't crumble, she is chirping occasionally but much quieter than her usual self. She is also standing on her elbows (which is where i think she has these small cuts from) for a stretch every now and again. she is still panting but not so often. I checked her over when I retrieved her from my neighbour and there was not a scratch on her and yesterday afternoon she was supervised in the garden and was running around perfectly, its just been overnight that it has changed...

Thanks for all of your replies, Laura & roxy xxx

Hi,

Given her age, she may also have Marek's disease, which could have been brought on by trauma. Sometimes they outgrow it, but most of the time they progressively get worse. I would a multi-B vit and vit E to the regimen you have her own, just in case it is Marek's (this helps with neurological function.)

Marlene

Back
Top Bottom