Bantam Hen, possibly a Brahma? *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GatorChickenRanch, Jul 17, 2011.

1. GatorChickenRanch

GatorChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Hi guys,
    I have a hen that i bought in a small feed store in starke, advertised as a Japanese bantam. I need some help figuring out possible breeds, as i'm pretty sure it's not a Jap. Any help would be appreciated.

*UPDATE* Just found out that little Oreo is a columbian brahma [​IMG] . Thank you all for your help!

Pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    [​IMG]

I have a brahma, she's only a month old but has way fewer black feather around her neck area. Maybe a mix?

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Here is my brahma. I dont know if yours having darker neck feathers is anything to do with anything.

[​IMG]

4. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    it seems to have relatively long foot feathers to be a brahma and the color is a silver laced of something maybe a silver laced cochin

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    pea comb=brahma. Maybe a cross. Looks like a light brahma but with an abundance of silver lacing in the breast(light brahmas have white breast feathers I believe). Looks almost like a white version of a birchen cochin.

6. GatorChickenRanch

GatorChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    I'll probably have to wait until she's full grown to tell exactly what she is. That's why i so dislike feed stores. Oh, and could a Dark brahma be a possibility? just throwing it out there. -Jim

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

feathered feet, pea comb, and the head all scream brahma to me. Its top half looks like a dark brahma, its bottom half looks like a light brahma. My best guess is its a COLOR cross - light X Dark. I have seen them before and they can be pretty oddball colored.

I think you got it right - Brahma - just a light and dark cross. [​IMG]

8. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Brahma but a cockerel... Not a hen..

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It's a brahma mix. It could be a color mix or a breed mix. I have no clue. Her feather shape and comb look like brahma. The color looks as if she's a breed mix. Is she laying eggs?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  10. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I think it's a brahma. I've never even owned brahmas myself and it looks just like one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by