Bantam Hens?

ChicknsRock

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 4, 2013
I have two pullets that hatched out this year, one hatched in March and the other in May or June. Banjo is supposed to be a barred rock mix, but she has hardly grown! And neither has Mesha. The only small breed of chicken I have is Easter Egger, and they aren't Sylvia's offspring. Their parents are a black mixed hen and a game rooster.

These are the pullets:

And this is Mesha ( the brown hen's) mother: ( Banjo's mother was about the same size)

Could they be bantams?

Okay. Thanks! But how did I get bantams from a large fowl bloodline?
Mesha is a game bird of some type...with the black face I would wonder Sumatra...but she has a wrong comb type and no purple to her face....so likely a mix.

I don't consider game birds large fowl...although I suppose some of the modern types can get bigger. Mine are more 3/4 size or bantam size.

You have mixed parentage with clearly game blood thrown in so it is not surprising you've got some smaller game type birds from the mixture.

My thoughts.
Lady of McCamley

Mesha is a game bird of some type...with the black face I would wonder Sumatra...but she has a wrong comb type and no purple to her face....so likely a mix.

I don't consider game birds large fowl...although I suppose some of the modern types can get bigger. Mine are more 3/4 size or bantam size.

You have mixed parentage with clearly game blood thrown in so it is not surprising you've got some smaller game type birds from the mixture.

My thoughts.
Lady of McCamley
X2

Wait, I'm confused. You say your birds are largefowl, yet you ask if they are bantams? Help me out here.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom