Bantam mottled cochin: Pullet?

Mar 15, 2018
SE Wisconsin
Here is my bantam mottled cochin at 7 weeks when I thought cockerel:
IMG_20181008_122933.jpg

And here at 13 weeks when I'm thinking pullet!

diamond 13 wks (2).jpg

What do you think?

Yes, I agree it is a pullet. I probably would have said cockerel for the earlier picture, too, because of the red comb and wattles at that young age. We have things we look for in sexing, and I think we get it right most of the time, but sometimes mother nature throws a spanner in the works. It shows the value of waiting a bit before making a final determination on sex.

Thanks! I thought so too, but it took me a while to realize the comb and wattles hadn't changed at all and when I looked at this picture it hit me that she's not a cockerel at all! Funny how sometimes when you're so sure of something you can be blind to the obvious. These are my first chickens so I figured I better check her out on the forum. And she's my only Cochin, so I know I didn't confuse 2 chicks, lol.
I'm really happy because I'm in the city so no roos allowed. All of my 5 are pullets. I guess I hit the hatchery jackpot, even tho they were sexed, but we all know how that goes.
This site is wonderful, I did so much research here before I even bought one piece of wood for my coop. And continue to come back, obviously.
Thanks for your expertise and you nice words about her. I've always thought she was beautiful too. She's definitely the sweetest of the 5.

This site is wonderful, I did so much research here before I even bought one piece of wood for my coop. And continue to come back, obviously.
Thanks for your expertise and you nice words about her. I've always thought she was beautiful too. She's definitely the sweetest of the 5.
BYC is addicting! We all joined and can't seem to go a day without logging in to the site!

Your girl is really gorgeous! I'm glad she's a pullet so you can keep her!

Good luck with your flock and I hope to see around the forum!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom