Bantam Question...

AUTZ

Chirping
Feb 10, 2018
AL/TN STATELINE
Do Bantams generally grow & mature at a slower rate? I know they have to have warmer brooder temps than our "full size" chicks, but they just don't seem to have grown even a little in 3 weeks.

This isn't our first time brooding Bantams, but I just don't recall them being so far behind in growth than their counterparts. Maybe I'm just being overly worried or impatient?

Yes, they are eating at a pace.. No signs of illness .. Just .. Forever tiny.

Are they cockerels? I am finding my bantams to take a little longer to grow than my standards.

Be honest, we ordered straight runs so no idea how many are Cockrell.

The ones of our own we've incubated doesn't seem it took as long for them to "catch up" to growth rate. This batch of chicks (Ideal) just seem to us to be slow growing.
It's probably "normal" for Bantam chicks since they're so small out of egg. I just didn't recall the being this slow.

Last edited:
I was wondering this also Donna. I have one bantam that is super tiny and she/he sleeps alone. I was wondering if its sick but it looks fine. I have seen this one eat. Just very small right out of the store compared to the silkie chick i also purchased. I was thinking they should be closer to the same size. We will see as they continue to grow.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are cockerels. My bantam cockerel is taking the longest to feather in.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are cockerels. My bantam cockerel is taking the longest to feather in.
I'm praying they're not all Cockerels. That's just never happened before with str runs from Ideal, but there's always a first time! :barnie
Thing is there are 4 different breeds & none are really outpacing another..they've remained pretty even.I'm going to be shocked and extremely dismayed to end up with 60 Cockerels! :eek::hit

@AUTZ I didn't realize you ordered 60! They are almost certainly not all male. Maybe you have slow feathering breeds.

@AUTZ I didn't realize you ordered 60! They are almost certainly not all male. Maybe you have slow feathering breeds.

Yes, we're a small local supplier of different unique breeds and egg layers... We do brown eggs Dominiques, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orphingtons & colored eggs Easter Eggers/Amaracuanas).

This group of Bantams include some Moderns, Old English, Japanese, Assorted Color Frizzles & Barred Rock (2 weeks older).

I have a few that are "my pets" that aren't for sale. My 2 Gold Laced Cochin Hens & 1 Roo, 4 (3 & 1) of Sultans, Buff Brahmas, Buff Laced Polish, 2 Pullets &1 Roo of Cream Brabanters, Houdans & Crevecouers.

Many people around here don't want to brood the chicks, but they want juveniles or full grown so we incubate (our own), order & brood for them. We believe everyone who wants chickens (that would be good parents) should have some. We have the time & patience to devote to brooding where many don't. So we gladly oblige. :wee

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom