Bantam Question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AUTZ, Mar 22, 2018.

1. AUTZ

AUTZ Chirping

Feb 10, 2018
    AL/TN STATELINE
    Do Bantams generally grow & mature at a slower rate? I know they have to have warmer brooder temps than our "full size" chicks, but they just don't seem to have grown even a little in 3 weeks.

This isn't our first time brooding Bantams, but I just don't recall them being so far behind in growth than their counterparts. Maybe I'm just being overly worried or impatient?

Yes, they are eating at a pace.. No signs of illness .. Just .. Forever tiny.

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Are they cockerels? I am finding my bantams to take a little longer to grow than my standards.

AUTZ likes this.
  3. AUTZ

AUTZ Chirping

Feb 10, 2018
    AL/TN STATELINE
    Be honest, we ordered straight runs so no idea how many are Cockrell.

The ones of our own we've incubated doesn't seem it took as long for them to "catch up" to growth rate. This batch of chicks (Ideal) just seem to us to be slow growing.
    It's probably "normal" for Bantam chicks since they're so small out of egg. I just didn't recall the being this slow.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  4. Themotherofchickens

Themotherofchickens In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2017
    Metamora, MI
    I was wondering this also Donna. I have one bantam that is super tiny and she/he sleeps alone. I was wondering if its sick but it looks fine. I have seen this one eat. Just very small right out of the store compared to the silkie chick i also purchased. I was thinking they should be closer to the same size. We will see as they continue to grow.

AUTZ likes this.
  5. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I wouldn't be surprised if they are cockerels. My bantam cockerel is taking the longest to feather in.

AUTZ likes this.
  6. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

Some breeds, both bantam and standard sized, are slower to mature than others. Our Silkie cockerel grew three times as quickly as his Nankin buddies and our Nanny pullets didn't start laying until they were 8 months old.

AUTZ and Themotherofchickens like this.
  7. AUTZ

AUTZ Chirping

Feb 10, 2018
    AL/TN STATELINE
    I'm praying they're not all Cockerels. That's just never happened before with str runs from Ideal, but there's always a first time! :barnie
    Thing is there are 4 different breeds & none are really outpacing another..they've remained pretty even.I'm going to be shocked and extremely dismayed to end up with 60 Cockerels! :eek::hit

8. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    @AUTZ I didn't realize you ordered 60! They are almost certainly not all male. Maybe you have slow feathering breeds.

AUTZ likes this.
  9. AUTZ

AUTZ Chirping

Feb 10, 2018
    AL/TN STATELINE
    Yes, we're a small local supplier of different unique breeds and egg layers... We do brown eggs Dominiques, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orphingtons & colored eggs Easter Eggers/Amaracuanas).

This group of Bantams include some Moderns, Old English, Japanese, Assorted Color Frizzles & Barred Rock (2 weeks older).

I have a few that are "my pets" that aren't for sale. My 2 Gold Laced Cochin Hens & 1 Roo, 4 (3 & 1) of Sultans, Buff Brahmas, Buff Laced Polish, 2 Pullets &1 Roo of Cream Brabanters, Houdans & Crevecouers.

Many people around here don't want to brood the chicks, but they want juveniles or full grown so we incubate (our own), order & brood for them. We believe everyone who wants chickens (that would be good parents) should have some. We have the time & patience to devote to brooding where many don't. So we gladly oblige. :wee

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  10. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    @AUTZ That is a great service you are running :)

AUTZ likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: