Bantam Rhode Island Reds any good?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by L&Schickens, Oct 12, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have had these guys less then a week. I don't know how good they are, but plan on showing them. I think the rooster, Strawberry, might have some issues with the number of points on his comb. I don't know. He seems to have some that have been worn off or something. Also, the bodies of the hens, are they correct? Can you see any major faults?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rose
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Petunia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    They look real good you want five good points on your roosters cone,does one of your hens have a rose comb maybe im looking at it wrong.

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    both hens have single combs. So, he needs 5 points? OK, Some in the front look like they are missing. Points don't grow back, right?

4. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    The hen up fromt in the last picture looks like she has a rose comb to me too. Are you sure it is a single?

And they birds look lovely. I adore the color on them. [​IMG]

5. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Oops... double post.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Nice color and nice shape. I bet you could breed some real beautys with them. [​IMG]

Yeah it looks like he may have gotten his tips frozen,but I think you can still show him. Just as long as you arent entering a really huge show it should be ok.

7. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I am sure it is a single comb. I will try and get pictures of their heads for ys.

8. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    OK, here are some of their heads. It was getting dark and my camera didn't like it, but here is what I got.

Strawberry:

[​IMG]

Petunia:
    [​IMG]

and Rose:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hers flops over a little and maybe that is why it looks like a rose comb. Is that a bad thing?

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    It looks like they may be just at the end of their egg layin cycle and ready to molt. That is why the combs are a little (shrunken) smaller. IMO. They look like nice birds and good breeder quality birds. I bet you could get some really nice babies from them.

As far as showing, I stand by what I said before. The smaller shows would be fine to show them in. Just don't go to any international invitationals or anything. lol

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Once they are done molting their combs could pop right back up. Who knows?!

What is on the front of Strawberry's comb?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by