Bantam Rhode Island Reds any good?

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
I have had these guys less then a week. I don't know how good they are, but plan on showing them. I think the rooster, Strawberry, might have some issues with the number of points on his comb. I don't know. He seems to have some that have been worn off or something. Also, the bodies of the hens, are they correct? Can you see any major faults?

rhodeislandreds_024.jpg

rhodeislandreds_025.jpg

rhodeislandreds_027.jpg

Rose
rhodeislandreds_032.jpg

rhodeislandreds_028.jpg

Petunia
rhodeislandreds_030.jpg

rhodeislandreds_031.jpg

rhodeislandreds_026.jpg

Last edited:
The hen up fromt in the last picture looks like she has a rose comb to me too. Are you sure it is a single?

And they birds look lovely. I adore the color on them.
smile.png

Nice color and nice shape. I bet you could breed some real beautys with them.
smile.png

Yeah it looks like he may have gotten his tips frozen,but I think you can still show him. Just as long as you arent entering a really huge show it should be ok.

Last edited:
OK, here are some of their heads. It was getting dark and my camera didn't like it, but here is what I got.

Strawberry:

rhodeislandreds_035.jpg

Petunia:
rhodeislandreds_038.jpg

and Rose:
rhodeislandreds_040.jpg

rhodeislandreds_042.jpg

Hers flops over a little and maybe that is why it looks like a rose comb. Is that a bad thing?

It looks like they may be just at the end of their egg layin cycle and ready to molt. That is why the combs are a little (shrunken) smaller. IMO. They look like nice birds and good breeder quality birds. I bet you could get some really nice babies from them.

As far as showing, I stand by what I said before. The smaller shows would be fine to show them in. Just don't go to any international invitationals or anything. lol

Back
Top Bottom