1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantam roo ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickaboo7, Jun 12, 2007.

1. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    My family really loves our baby bantam roo. He is so gentle. We want to keep him but we need to know how noisy he will be , we had a plymouth rock roo and he had to go. We are very close to our neighbors.

How do we keep him from fertilising the eggs ?

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Unfortunately, the loudest roo I have is my bantam roo, Leroy. And the only way I know of to keep a roo from fertilizing a hen is to fence them apart.[​IMG]

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    What breed is the roo? I have a bantam cochin roo and he's great; well behaved and quiet. Why don't you want your eggs fertilized?

4. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    You can have your vet caponize him. It removes his *unmentionables* [​IMG] and keeps him from being fertile and it makes him to where he rarely crows.

5. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    I live in a res. development and don't have the knowledge to raise chicks from eggs. My kids would freak if they thought I killed a baby. We are veg. and only eat our own eggs. They are not forced from our girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by