Bantam? Runty Standard?

Ivytalon

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 12, 2012
I ordered 6 chicks from Meyer Hatchery, and they arrived April 30 (approx.). One was always substantially smaller, and she was almost dead upon arrival. Since then she has always been the smallest, now she looks like she's at the most 1/2 the size of the other chicks. Supposedly she is the Black Sumatra we ordered, but she should be the normal size of the other chicks, not 1/2 the size. She's feathering out at the same rate as the other chicks, and is moving around fine. She even drags the other chicks around the pen away from the food so she can eat. Is she a really runty standard? Is she a crop-out bantam or dwarf?
Comparison Photo:

Also, she has had these weird bald patches since she arrived, any thoughts? None of the other chicks have them.

Last edited:
I got Sumatra's from them too and they were super tiny! So she should be full size I'm thinking it just takes longer for them to develop. Mine didn't do good at all with the bigger layer breeds so what I ended up doing was seperating the sumatra and I bought her two bantam chicks that kept her company. It worked really well. I just used an old fish tank screen/lid and put it in my brooder down half of it. She lived past the hard chick stage. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom