Bantam Sexing Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by riversbendhen, Apr 9, 2017.

1. riversbendhen

riversbendhen Out Of The Brooder

I am new to chicken raising and just picked up a flock of 5 assorted chick breeds to get started. I wanted egg layers so all are pullets however . . . there was one bantam chick that just spoke to me that I couldn't resist. It is only one or two weeks old. I think I have identified it as a Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam (correct me if I'm wrong). It was a straight run so not sure if it is a rooster or pullet. When will I be able to tell? Would love to have others post any/all information on this thread that relates to Bantams, Sexing Bantams and Raising Bantams in a flock with other chickens.

Thanks for your input!

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    With OEGB's its usually earlier than with other breeds, you'll for sure know before two months, but chances are you'll either notice a red comb or not before then :)

3. riversbendhen

riversbendhen Out Of The Brooder

Thank you, Cascadia River. That is helpful. This bantam is by far the loudest bird in the flock. Is that breed characteristic, a bantam characteristic or early signs of a rooster do you think?

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    OEGB's can be kinda loud, but it could just be a bossy pullet, when they're older if you want to post a picture we can help you with the genders :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by