Bantam silkies and polish sex?

Here are a few more pics, almost a week later. They change so fast at this age.
First are the two buff silkies.

The following picture are the two polish. On the left is q-tip and on the right is ralphie. Ralphie is getting red wattles you can see in the pic and q-tip has no wattles yet.

I have a 5 week old too. This one is super duper sweet and mellow. I reallllllllyyyyy want it to be a hen... ;) Here is the picture.

Here are a few more pics, almost a week later. They change so fast at this age.
First are the two buff silkies.

The following picture are the two polish. On the left is q-tip and on the right is ralphie. Ralphie is getting red wattles you can see in the pic and q-tip has no wattles yet.

did you find out gender on your chickens? the first silkie kinda looks like a roo to me.. they are all really cute!

Last edited:
did you find out gender on your chickens? the first silkie kinda looks like a roo to me.. they are all really cute!

The top silkie is a boy, for sure. The one in the second picture is a girl. The polish on the left is a girl, and the one on the right a boy. They are still so cute.

would love to see updated pics of them! have they given you eggs yet? i have 2. silkieXpolish one has started laying about 2 weeks ago but im still waiting on one and she is about 25-27 weeks!

All of the birds above are male. I raise and breed both breeds. But not those colors. There is little chance, but it is possible you have 1 polish pullet. But both started with those all to indicative Mohawks that polish roosters are known for. And the silkies all have flat and wide combs. There is no doubt they are boys. Especially with the flat and laid back crests.

I know what to look for in both breeds and sex really accurately. Female silkies have thin combs that stay flat.
I can't help you with examples though because all my birds are breed quality that start out with large vaults and full crests.

Two of my silkie cockerels.

Polish male - stringy crest. Same will happen with silkies, just not as much. This happens after about 1 1/2 months ish.

Don't really have any girls lol. They have smooth even and full crests.

Last edited:
^ this isnt entirely accurate in my opinion, i have a pullet silkieXpolish that has a v like stringy crest you would expect her to be a roo... atleast i did until she laid an egg 2 weeks ago!

Back
Top Bottom