bantam sitting on eggs

superday

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Just wondering if anybody knows what I should do regarding my poor bantam hen. She was sitting on eggs and they were ready to hatch and then something got into the chicken coop and got them!! Now she just wants to keep sitting and there are no eggs because she is my only hen!!

If she can stay healthy for another 21 days of being broody, you can give her more eggs to hatch. Definitely get better protection in place first. I use a large rabbit cage covered with hardware cloth, because a snake kept stealing the eggs.

The other option is to break here broodiness by removing all nesting materials and keep making her get out and about.

Well I'm no expert on broody hens since I gather eggs daily, but I would recomend searching for a break-in spot and fixing it? Also if you don't have a rooster that's doing a good job at protecting your hen than I would look into getting a different one.
wink.png

yes you are so right!!! We did find a big hole that the raccoons must have digged it, but it was weird that they didn't get my hen, just her eggs!!!

It looks like she is out and about now, so she will probably be just fine. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom