Bantam with swollen itchy head

I think maybe you had two different things happening at the same time. Mites and maybe some other illness. Sounds like ending her suffering at this point may be the best, but that is a choice you will have to make. Even if she pulls through if this was an illness then she may still be a carrier and give it to others in your flock.

Thanks for the reply paddock,

Still can't decide what to do with the poor girl. Eye drops dont seem to have any effect, but she won't stop scratching the bad eye! So much so that shes starting to lose feathers on that side of her neck and get sores on her face. Im thinking of using some kind of cone to stop the scratching.. but even then the original illness symptoms remain :(

She is sleeping most of the time, poor little chicken.. :(

Not sure if this will help but I use Terramycin eye ointment for my son's show birds sometimes. It is for their eyes. I bought it at our local feed store (Seminole feed). Hope it will help.

Thanks paddock, its a big problem getting hold of medications here in Australia :(
I think now that she has eyeworm - shes scratching at her neck and face and its all sore. One eye is totally closed, the other looks ok. I cant see any worms in there but right now it seems like it fits th symptoms.
Could eyeworm cause the hole head to swell with little other symptoms?! I thought she was ill, and then got a sore eye - unrelated. But perhaps all of these symptoms are caused by the one eyeworm problem?
I was about to euthanise her last, as she is so weak and just sleeping all the time.. but now i dont know what to do! If only i could get some ivermectin or valbazen!! Reslly dont want to take her to the vet again as they are truely useless, but this might be the bet option.
Dont want to continue her suffering for nothing though. If she has 2 different problems then i think we will still have to kill her as no antibiotic is having an effect..

Would really appreciate any thoughts, im going a bit crazy trying to decide what is best! :(

I didn't even think about eyeworms. I have never had a problem with that (yet), but I'm guessing that could be the problem. Could you order what you need on-line? I don't know how shipping works there for you. I hope it works out for you.

Do you have access to VetRX there? I just found this information on-line.

Treatment:
The rare nature of eyeworms means few drug options are available. VetRx is the standard treatment, and regular application is required. Mix the medicine at a ratio of 1 teaspoon per cup of water; warming the water first helps dissolve the drug and creates an even mixture. To administer, hold the chicken and open the mouth with a finger. Swab the drug on the roof of the mouth to treat the inner eye.

Quarantine:
Quarantine is a critical step to preventing the spread of eye worms in your flock. Remove all infected chickens the instant eye worms are discovered. Clean the coop and continue with the preventative measures to reduce the potential for an outbreak. Treat the quarantined animals. Do not return them to the flock until the eye worms are completely eliminated.

Thanks so much for your replies again paddock, I really appreciate it! I also didn't even think of eyeworm, but now it seems so obvious... Really hoping this treatment will help her out - it's worth a go anyway.

Good news, I was able to get some "Ivomec" (active ingredient: ivermectin) injectable from a farm supplies shop. I know its not /approved/ but from what people have said on here and some other forums, it works well (and to be honest, this is our resort!). Can't seem to get vetrx here but I will try and get some posted in for future use.

I spoke to a vet that said there was nothing they could do, that the only way to rid it is to do surgery but its "too difficult and risky". So I'm mixing up the ivomec injectable 1 part to 4 parts water and dropping onto the area just above the eye and allowing it to run in. I think thats right from what I've read... Will do it this evening and make sure enough gets in there. She's a fiesty little thing considering how ill she is, and its quite difficult to manage her by myself! My partner will be home tomorrow though so we can make sure we do it really well and hopefully get some on the roof of the mouth too as I've read on other threads that needs to be done.

Fingers crossed..!

I've had her quarantined for a few weeks now, so hopefully the others will be ok.. I'll definitely keep an eye on them though and give the coop and outside area a good clean.

Back
Top Bottom