Bantam Wyandotte

Eggsakly, did you get BLRW wyandottes?

Hi! Yes, I did. I thought I would receive buff columbians, but I did not. I got white Columbians (lots), BLRs (a whole lot), along with a blue and a golden-laced. Out of 25 chicks, I now retain 6, 2 boys and 4 girls. The rest have been rehomed. I will likely rehome one of the remaining boys.

I like the Wyandottes.

I think my little BLR cockerel is gorgeous! And my little golden-laced is adorable. She jumped up on my lap one day, and was all over me. She is almost a perfect little chicken. They are 15.5 weeks old now.

For some reason, when I upload photos I get two copies. I don't understand why.
lacey and roo.jpg

Best of Lacey.jpg
Boy and Buffy.jpg
Boy and Buffy.jpg
My Wyandottes are now 17 weeks old. I've had enough time to get a sense of their breed personality a little. The two that are friendly are much friendlier than my Brahmas, and I just love that. It is so stinkin' cute!

I'm also very much appreciating their variety and their gorgeous plumage. With one exception, the blue-laced reds are not good representation of the best blr coloring. But they are still very beautiful, and as they mature they are becoming more beautiful by the week.

Even though one cockerel has such gorgeous coloring, in some ways I prefer the other baby roo. He has amazing saddle and hackle feathers compared to the bluer cockerel, with more than twice as many saddle feathers. And the girls are all amazing. I can understand their reputation for being one of the most beautiful breeds.

I'm having an awful time with attaching photos.

Last edited:
Hi. I still have both cockerels. They are a full 26 weeks old and I got my first egg from the Wyandottes last weekend. The eggs are smaller than those of the bantam Brahmas, whose eggs are shockingly large for such small birds. The boys are maturing and I have seen them challenging each other once. I'm keeping my eye on this situation. I hope I get to keep both boys.

I have decided that I adore my Wyandottes. They are much friendlier than the Brahmas, and so cute because of it. They are all around me whenever I go out to the coop or run. The buff hen has white tail feathers, and small amounts of white near her tail. She has no lacing and is my most plain pullet, but she is very sweet. She and the lightest pullet are friends. They are together in the last photo above, as usual.

And the golden laced lives in her own world. She is all over the place, hanging with the Brahmas, off by herself, the last one in at night. She is also the friendliest and the only one who has jumped on my lap, which she has done a few times.

I'm finding them very enjoyable. It's fun to go visit with them, which I do often.

Back
Top Bottom