Bantam

JudysMuscovy

Songster
Dec 26, 2015
Texas
I have a white bantam I got from someone as a chick (didn't know that it was a Bantam) she said it was mixed Australorp and cinnamon queen, but it's not at all! Anyhow, she went broody all the time, I finally gave her a couple eggs to hatch, she has two mixed babies one silkie and one silkie and CCL.
She keeps wanting to get out of the area I have her in and going into the bigger pen and my other chickens keep beating her up, do you think I should let her go in with them and watch them with her, but what about the babies, they are only 3 weeks old. I don't know what to do.

I generally start letting them into the flock when the chicks are about 1-2 weeks of age. Sometimes there's problems. I supervise them and allow some fighting, but step in and separate if it gets excessive. I try again the next day, and the next until it gets worked out.

Bantams mixed with bigger breeds can work and sometimes it doesn't. I keep mine is separate coops as the bantams are more gentle, and can get bullied. If problems persist you may need to separate them out permanently.

Did she get along with the flock OK before being segregated to brood?
If so, let her in with the flock and work it out, get it over with as it will be harder the longer you wait. She'll have to re-establish her place in the flock pecking order.

Smaller the chicks the better too. Hopefully you have lots of space and a place for the chicks to shelter with mama on the floor of the coop.

Did she get along with the flock OK before being segregated to brood?
If so, let her in with the flock and work it out, get it over with as it will be harder the longer you wait. She'll have to re-establish her place in the flock pecking order.

Smaller the chicks the better too. Hopefully you have lots of space and a place for the chicks to shelter with mama on the floor of the coop.
She decided to put herself back over with the others and I am hoping she will work it out but she left a lonely chick it's 3 weeks old, they can see and hear each other so I am hoping they will both be ok. She kept trying to fly out of where I have her separated and so she finally made it out so I plan to leave her. She was actually in with a different flock previous of sitting on eggs, but she'd been with this group for a couple months

3 weeks is pretty early to wean the chicks....I wouldn't let her set again.
Yea I won't she's been trying all this week to get out and I believe the other chick she hatched died because of it she must have stepped on it or something like that, so not going to let her sit again. She goes broody all the time too. So she might just have to go.

She would be good used for hatching alone. I routinely have some of mine hatch but I pull and brood them myself. I definitely wouldn't plan on letting her be a mom again. Not every broody hen knows what to do.

She would be good used for hatching alone. I routinely have some of mine hatch but I pull and brood them myself. I definitely wouldn't plan on letting her be a mom again. Not every broody hen knows what to do.
I think you are right about that she seemed like she was going to be a good mom but it didn't last long. I was hoping she would stay with the little one until it was older but doesn't seem like that will happen. I carried the little guy in my shirt while I did my chores :). It's 1/2 silkie and 1/2 CCL it has the silkie's feet but the rest doesn't look silkie. It has the regular feathering. I sure hope it's a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom