Bantams mating with standards?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginamomdoc, Aug 15, 2011.

1. ginamomdoc

ginamomdoc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    We just foung out that out black silkie pullet is not. A she, that is. We are not technically allowed roos, but the neighbors think that he's cute and his crow is a bit pathetic so for now he's staying with us. We have 5 pullets and one hen- all standard sized breeds- and they all get along fabulously. My question is whether we have to worry about fertilized eggs since Fuzzy (the boy) is so much smaller than the girls...the laws of physics just don't seem in his favor, you know?[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    They can do the deed despite the size issue. On the good side, it looks like a chicken rodeo when the little guys get on the big girls.....

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes there is a strong probability that he will get the job done. What's the 'worry' about fertile eggs? They are just as good to eat as non fertile. They must be incubated for development to start.

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Where theres a will theres a way!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    there should be no problem for him to get the deed done

6. ginamomdoc

ginamomdoc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    No real "worry" about fertilized eggs- just need an incentive to be better at getting them in the fridge sooner to avoid any accidental incubation- my kids can be picky eaters and I have an irrational fear of them seeing a teeny tiny embryo and getting put off of eggs. Now THAT would be tragic! Thanks to you all, looking forward to chicken rodeos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by