Bantams that are worth ordering! šŸ„°šŸ“

I have silkies and live in south eastern Texas. They need shade is the biggest thing you can provide and open faced coop (it won't trap in that hot heat). Ideal also offers Japanese Bantams (these birds need to stay around 65+ degrees so when we start dipping around the end of December and January have some where indoors or heated for them). You may also like d'Uccles and seem to do well in the heat of Texas.
I actually got all 3 of those breeds. :)

Yay!!! Congratulations!!
I just got them yesterday!
I got
1 BTW Japanese bantam
1 Blue Cochin Bantam
1 BB red Old English bantam
1 Millie fleur dā€™ Uccle
1 golden neck dā€™ Uccle
1 Blue Silkie (probably splash or white)
1 white silkie
1 unknown silkie (thinking partridge)
1 Golden sebright
1 Silver sebright

and all of them survived shipping!
Hereā€™s a few pictures

Millie fleur dā€™ Uccle
AB89006E-B9EB-4D83-9EF1-AAD5D24C1847.jpeg

Silkies
Left to Right- White, blue, 82C1618F-BF1C-4F3E-8F1E-9812156CF3A0.jpeg

BTW Japanese bantam
29F06690-7237-4326-A51B-7B2E8C30B81D.jpeg

Blue Cochin bantam
E2E59478-66D7-4E25-81AE-4E73DA76553D.jpeg

BB red Old English bantam
8D88FB9C-F9B4-4EC9-87F3-682C101B9618.jpeg

I also need name suggestions.
Boy and Girl
I will keep roosters (probably 2 max, unless I can keep 3 with 7 hens, but 2ā€™s already pushing it) :)

Alright, so I ordered a lot of those, let me just explain what I got.

Silkies: out of 8, 7 had toe mutations (spliced toenails, missing toes, odd shaped and sized toes)
Cornish: constantly substituted colors and even breed once. You better like the dark cornish in my experience cause that's what you'll get
Sebright: 2 put of 7 have single combs
Self blue Cochin: 4 males, 3 are very ugly at 7 weeks, with 2 not able to grow back feathers for some reason

Now, I love IDEAL, but just be prepared
All of my silkies have 5 good toes, and not sure on the sebright and Cochin bantams but they seem fine so far. Will I be able to tell the if the sebrights have the right comb or not at this young or not? I think they hatched yesterday, but not 100% sure. Thanks! :)

Also, quick question. How soon with I be able to tell the genders of the bantams besides the silkies? I know silkies are basically you wait for a crow or an egg, but not sure on the other ones. Thanks for any help!
Around 4-6 weeks you should start seeing a bright red comb forming for your japanese bantam and d'Uccles. You're right about silkies, I have a set of five currently that are five months old and still neery a crow, egg, tail feather or neck feather streamers yet. I have two I'm about 100% positive are hens but the other 3? Lololol hopefully will know something in a few more months. Normally by about 8 months my guys tend to get sorted out, I can at least see feather streamers by then.

My d'Uccles were able to be sexed at 4-6 weeks. I'm in South Louisiana, and my friend has a flock of Silkies and d'Uccles that do just fine. Congrats on your chicks! They're so cute!

Back
Top Bottom