Banties with standards

crazychicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
NC
The only problem would be my bantam hen might get squashed by my standard roo.

Right anything else I might need to know?

Last edited:
Some banties have big personalities and many don't know they're small. My little girl is only 20 ounces but don't tell her that: she'll cluck up a storm if something loud (like a thumping bass) upsets her.

lol kida like my brother barely three feet but with a big mouth and bigger personality.

Last edited:
We have some Old English Game Banties in with our BLRW, and never had a problem.
smile.png

Most people assume it would be the big hens picking on the little fellas, not true in my flock the bantams rule the roost.
When they have their pecking order squabbles the big hens wear out quick and give into the fisty banties.

We have a very diverse flock. *pokes sig* However, our only roos are banties to prevent this problem. Fertility is great all the same. The bantam hens are somewhat lower in the pecking order but all works out fine because our guys are hen-pecked.

I have a few bantams. One hen in particular, Wildcat, rules the roost. She is a small red hen that I purchased from Southern States 2 years ago. She pretty much controls everything that goes on around her. The bantam rooster seams to ask her if it is ok to mate with her. If she is not ready, she lets him know pretty quick.

I had them in with black sex-link hens last year and she kept them all in line. She will stand up to them with flared neck feathers and they seam to back off in a hurry.

She loves me and waits at the door when she hears the 4-wheeler drive up. If I do not pick her up she will follow me around and peck my boots until I reach down and pick her up. She likes to sit on my shoulder and look down on all the other chickens. If I go in after dark she will fly off the roost onto my shoulder as soon as I turn the coop light on. She is a small spoiled hen with attitude.

Darin

We have two 7 week old bantam cochins. They have there own little cage to hide in if the big girls start to get mean. I have been worried because they are so incredibley tiny. At seven weeks, they look like two week old standards. They have the best diet and life possible, so I figure they were just breed very small. Anyway, I let them all out into the front the other day, and was give them some cheese for a treat. Two of the big (very mean) girls were eating and Piccolina ran right under one and stole her cheese! My first thought was "You better pick her up 'cause she going to get her butt kicked!" The two big girls just got upset and ran away
lau.gif
I couldn't believe it! All the big girls are so sweet to us, but they don't take anything from the other chickens. So, I have no idea why they let that little thing steal there treat. I was just craking up because they got so offended and just ran away to sulk
lol.png
Maybe it was because they knew that they would get a good swat on the butt if they beat up the babies in front of me
idunno.gif
Mabye it is because they are still so tiny and see them as helpless. They are so mean to the teenage girls for no reason! Chickens are definetley entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom