banty's feet were frostbitten, now i smell rot and one toe is mush.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by magentamomma, Jan 14, 2010.

1. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    I went on a cruise and whileI wa away we had record cold temps. i lost 3 birds, and one of mine has frostbit feet. i thought they were doing ok until this evening. They are black, and they stink. One toe is completelt mushy. I guess the bone rotted. Should I put this bird down?

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I guess so. You could amputate it, but then you risk edema and eventual bumblestump. [​IMG] Sorry.

3. team_realtree

team_realtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:I would kill it. I can't imagine that it is feeling to good with rotting bones.

4. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    thats what I figured, but it really sucks. He is still eating and drinking. His girlfriend froze to death as did 2 others. In day time hours. It really hurts me to watch

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    That sounds like there is definite infection going on in and out of the bone... I can't imagine any other reason bone would go mushy. I'd be inclined to "help" your banty along - infection in the bone is not a good thing (obviously). Sorry to hear about your losses [​IMG]

6. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I might try amputation if he were very important brood stock otherwise I would cull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by