Barbu de Watermael thread?

Pics
Yeah, I went and looked. He hatched from some tailed d’Anvers. Most likely a non-genetic anomaly.
Sarah, don’t sell your cockerel! How else will you get babies?

Bean.
On the American d’Anvers Facebook page I think I saw someone starting a d’Grubbe project. Not sure how they acquired the rumpless cockerel. Since it is a dominant gene it is probably not genetic (in other words, that project has no chance) or I guess it could have been a spontaneous mutation.

Bean.
On the American d’Anvers Facebook page I think I saw someone starting a d’Grubbe project. Not sure how they acquired the rumpless cockerel. Since it is a dominant gene it is probably not genetic (in other words, that project has no chance) or I guess it could have been a spontaneous mutation.
maybe a bantam Araucana there rumpless

Yeah, I went and looked. He hatched from some tailed d’Anvers. Most likely a non-genetic anomaly.
Sarah, don’t sell your cockerel! How else will you get babies?
I'm not sure. :( there are a few people breeding them, but mine are Australian imports which makes them kind of unique I think. I don't want to be bit though. :(

I need to do research but I seem to recall a discussion about how the tailless gene works and what it does and my reaction to that was "oh. Well that sucks, add that to the list of things that shouldn't be bred with pugs and French bulldogs". I can't remember specifically why, I just remember being disappointed and turned off

You can absolutely ship a chicken.
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_008.htm#ep198129
When eggbid.com was a thing, I used to ship started pairs and trios of many breeds. I got my Bantam Black Sumatras shipped to Texas from Florida. It's fairly simple. The shipping boxes are costly.
I used to ship rare geckos when I bred them for school supplies and ramen money at university, some 12 years ago. I would think that the packing method would be different but the rest is similar. I shipped next day air and I would watch the weather and time the ship so the box had the least probable chance of getting stuck over a weekend or traveling in inhospitable conditions. It meant watching where it was going and any weather conditions in between. Fortunately chickens don't have the reputation reptiles do and I imagine the box is less likely to be deliberately and maliciously abused by postage service because a chicken is in the box vs lizard. Average cost to ship a box regardless of number of live lizards inside was about $70. What is your experience shipping? I understand that this cost is high. I would eat it, if he went somewhere good.

I stopped ordering eggs after I received them from GFF. And you know they package there shipments well. Yet they managed to killed all the eggs when I got them. $80 bucks down the toilet.

I stopped ordering eggs after I received them from GFF. And you know they package there shipments well. Yet they managed to killed all the eggs when I got them. $80 bucks down the toilet.
I mean, shipped eggs are a gamble. Anyone who buys them knows that they're spending money on 0+ chicks. Any chicks from shipped eggs are bonus chicks. Shipping is just too hard on the structure of the egg a lot of the time. I would think an already born, especially adult, animal is more sturdy than fragile membranes and fluids.

Back
Top Bottom