Barbu de Watermael thread?

Pics
I used to ship rare geckos when I bred them for school supplies and ramen money at university, some 12 years ago. I would think that the packing method would be different but the rest is similar. I shipped next day air and I would watch the weather and time the ship so the box had the least probable chance of getting stuck over a weekend or traveling in inhospitable conditions. It meant watching where it was going and any weather conditions in between. Fortunately chickens don't have the reputation reptiles do and I imagine the box is less likely to be deliberately and maliciously abused by postage service because a chicken is in the box vs lizard. Average cost to ship a box regardless of number of live lizards inside was about $70. What is your experience shipping? I understand that this cost is high. I would eat it, if he went somewhere good.
That's neat. I've had finches, softbills, and various species of hookbills shipped through the airlines and picked them up from the airport. I've had fish, live plants, and invertebrates shipped to me through USPS. I don't think I've ever had an experience with shipping started or adult birds where there was a loss. With day-old chicks, it can happen, but that could be the chick just as much as the shipping. With poultry, I've just boxed them up and taken them to the post office where they are weighed, I pay for it, and they ship them. They are always the quickest ship, and I only send live birds on Mondays and eggs on Mondays or Tuesdays, so they don't get stuck over the weekend somewhere.

Even if he was a little snot though, I'd be tempted to keep him just so I could breed them and offer birds to other interested parties to help the breed out.

Time for a Barbu de Photodump

IMG_6899.jpg
IMG_6952 (1).jpg
IMG_6868.jpg
IMG_6857.jpg
IMG_6828.jpg
IMG_6816.jpg
IMG_6889.jpg
IMG_6851.jpg
IMG_6920.jpg
IMG_6945.jpg
IMG_6937.jpg
IMG_6946.jpg
IMG_6955.jpg
IMG_6962.jpg
IMG_6965.jpg
IMG_6975.jpg
IMG_6979.jpg
IMG_6986.jpg
IMG_6992.jpg
IMG_6994.jpg

Last edited:
Agate and I gotta come to some kind of understanding. I'm a patient lady. I have an australian shepherd that knows like 30 intense party tricks, I love to teach animals. ... I do not understand the rooster. Everything my brain tells me about animals, is that they bite when they are scared or trying to defend themselves. Agate doesn't seem to be biting to defend or because he's scared. He bites and comes back for more, and thrashes like a terrier while he's doing it. He follows me like a little turd crab around the yard waiting for me to turn my back.

I need tips.

Agate and I gotta come to some kind of understanding. I'm a patient lady. I have an australian shepherd that knows like 30 intense party tricks, I love to teach animals. ... I do not understand the rooster. Everything my brain tells me about animals, is that they bite when they are scared or trying to defend themselves. Agate doesn't seem to be biting to defend or because he's scared. He bites and comes back for more, and thrashes like a terrier while he's doing it. He follows me like a little turd crab around the yard waiting for me to turn my back.

I need tips.
Hmm, that's Belgian bantams for you. The reason for their behavior is that they have no respect for you. If he really is attacking when you turn your back and not just biting when you grab him then I can understand why you'd want to get rid of him. I have a pet cuckoo d'Anvers and he attacks us for attention. Constantly. Partly because he wants to get picked up and coddled. Sometimes I would just pick him up and put him in another room to give me some space. He's so friendly and mean at the same time. He loves his "wife" Sally though, another d'Anvers. He is the most faithful rooster I've ever seen, only ever paying attention to her and roosting beside her. Eventually, my mom decided she had enough of his funny business and caged him with the other d'Anvers males (of whom we confined to help the females condition, not for behaviors.) He deserves far worse, but I don't have the heart to do it. Now Sally roosts alone.

I need tips.
He's going through his juvenile antics, that's something that can't be deterred. It's like all chickens at that age behave a certain way especially cockerels. I have 7 cockerels behaving similar to yours. Some are more intense than the others, but it's a learning process for them. It will be like that till there age catches up to them.

But as a potential breeder, he doesn't necessarily need your attention and can be confined for a while.

Hmm, that's Belgian bantams for you. The reason for their behavior is that they have no respect for you. If he really is attacking when you turn your back and not just biting when you grab him then I can understand why you'd want to get rid of him. I have a pet cuckoo d'Anvers and he attacks us for attention. Constantly. Partly because he wants to get picked up and coddled. Sometimes I would just pick him up and put him in another room to give me some space. He's so friendly and mean at the same time. He loves his "wife" Sally though, another d'Anvers. He is the most faithful rooster I've ever seen, only ever paying attention to her and roosting beside her. Eventually, my mom decided she had enough of his funny business and caged him with the other d'Anvers males (of whom we confined to help the females condition, not for behaviors.) He deserves far worse, but I don't have the heart to do it. Now Sally roosts alone.
I have heard that the Belgian rooster's aggression is legendary. I'm pleased to be experiencing that first hand :D

He bites when I go to pick him up, yes. He also grabs my hair and pulls (I need a haircut, it's almost long enough for me to sit on it), kicks my shoes, bites and pulls my pants hem.

Back
Top Bottom