Bard saves my hen!- EVERYONE NEEDS a barred rock rooster!

Pics
Mar 29, 2022
So, yesterday morning, I let my 10 hens and 1 barred rock rooster out to free range while I read so I can watch them. I have done this many times with no problems. While I was reading and feeding them treats, I noticed one of my hens was starting to wander a bit, but this is usually no issue. Then, as quick as a flash I hear a wooshing sound and my rooster flew 10 feet away and started fighting with something. I moved closer to get a better view and he was fighting a HUGE hawk trying to grab my hen. The hawk kept trying to attack him from above, but Bard returned each attack with slashing and clawing. Then, Bard jumped at the hawk, and I thought he had killed it. Luckily, the hawk got up, ruffled his feathers, and flew off. Also FYI, I was trying to get involved in the fight but It was hard to do as I was trying to put the other chickens in the coop, get the hen to safety, I didn't want to get hurt, I didn't want Bard to get hurt, and I didn't want any of the hens to get hurt. Oh and I forgot to mention that not only is Bard THE BEST at protecting the girls, but he is very sweet and cuddily. I HIGHLY recommend getting a barred rock rooster. (Hopefully the hawks ok, they are pretty tough, right???)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-11 11.41.47 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-11 11.41.47 AM.png
    435.7 KB · Views: 88
Bard has no injuries! Also it makes better sense that he is a cukoo marans as 3 of the hens I got him with are cukoo marans too. (I better re-name him 🤣 )
Oh, no, leave him as 'Bard' It is usually someone of intelligence (poet, wordsmith, etc....or could also be a proper noun as in 'Bard of Avon'. Kind of like Lord or Duke, but with less of a noble/royal intent. Still, I think it makes him sound both smart and stately...and clearly he is both...so I vote to keep the name ❤️

Last edited:
So, yesterday morning, I let my 10 hens and 1 barred rock rooster out to free range while I read so I can watch them. I have done this many times with no problems. While I was reading and feeding them treats, I noticed one of my hens was starting to wander a bit, but this is usually no issue. Then, as quick as a flash I hear a wooshing sound and my rooster flew 10 feet away and started fighting with something. I moved closer to get a better view and he was fighting a HUGE hawk trying to grab my hen. The hawk kept trying to attack him from above, but Bard returned each attack with slashing and clawing. Then, Bard jumped at the hawk, and I thought he had killed it. Luckily, the hawk got up, ruffled his feathers, and flew off. Also FYI, I was trying to get involved in the fight but It was hard to do as I was trying to put the other chickens in the coop, get the hen to safety, I didn't want to get hurt, I didn't want Bard to get hurt, and I didn't want any of the hens to get hurt. Oh and I forgot to mention that not only is Bard THE BEST at protecting the girls, but he is very sweet and cuddily. I HIGHLY recommend getting a barred rock rooster. (Hopefully the hawks ok, they are pretty tough, right???)
That's a good rooster for protecting his ladies. He's a pretty Cuckoo Marans.(He has white legs, not yellow)

Oh, no, leave him as 'Bard' It is usually someone of intelligence...or could also be a proper noun as in 'Bard of Avon'. Kind of like Lord or Duke, but with less of a noble/royal intent. Still, I think it makes him sound both smart and stately...and clearly he is both...so I vote to keep the name ❤️
I agree. Bard is a great name for such a wonderful rooster. Who cares what breed he is? He is a hero!

Way to go Bard! I. So glad that you have a brave rooster like him.

I understand not wanting the hawk to be hurt but it would have been better if Bard had killed it. The hawk will be back again and again. And if it surprises Bard the outcome next time will not be good. They are not afraid of you of him for that matter. I have lost multiple chickens to a hawk that I have no means of getting rid of.

Wow! That’s incredible!! Did you check Bard over for injuries? I bet the hawk did not expect that!!!

Oh bravo little man you are one heck of a Roo! Good show 🥰💕❤️

Back
Top Bottom