Bard saves my hen!- EVERYONE NEEDS a barred rock rooster!

I would r

I would recommend not letting your birds free range for a couple of weeks. The hawk may move along.
I didn't let them free-range until a month later and was super cautious :D. A year ago before I had Bard we had 2 ospreys attack them while I was watching. They killed one and picked up another but dropped her and were thankful she lived. I didn't free-range them until a year later and though we should try again since now we have Bard. I'm glad he's here now.

I didn't let them free-range until a month later and was super cautious :D. A year ago before I had Bard we had 2 ospreys attack them while I was watching. They killed one and picked up another but dropped her and were thankful she lived. I didn't free-range them until a year later and though we should try again since now we have Bard. I'm glad he's here now.
I absolutely loved reading this story! Bard is a legend ❤️

Hi guys- I need some help concerning Bard- I'm not sure where to post this. Bard has been struggling recently, he can't support his weight anymore. He's limping terribly, and can't run or fly anymore. When I let them out for their daily 1 hour free-range yesterday, Bard just lay (not laid 🤣) in the grass and couldn't catch up with the hens. I believe he may have broken his left leg, maybe in his last hawk fight (he's had 3 so far). I may call the vet but he's already costed me quite a bit in vet bills (infected cut from a hawk fight). He's not overweight and I don't feed free-choice- I give the 13 of them around 7 cups of feed + scraps and usually, there is some leftover. Bard always lets the hens eat first and doesn't eat like crazy. I won't cull- I'm vegetarian and I could never. Any advice would be appreciated! I love this rooster so much.
Note: the photo's from a while back.
Screenshot 2022-12-30 9.30.11 AM.png

So, yesterday morning, I let my 10 hens and 1 barred rock rooster out to free range while I read so I can watch them. I have done this many times with no problems. While I was reading and feeding them treats, I noticed one of my hens was starting to wander a bit, but this is usually no issue. Then, as quick as a flash I hear a wooshing sound and my rooster flew 10 feet away and started fighting with something. I moved closer to get a better view and he was fighting a HUGE hawk trying to grab my hen. The hawk kept trying to attack him from above, but Bard returned each attack with slashing and clawing. Then, Bard jumped at the hawk, and I thought he had killed it. Luckily, the hawk got up, ruffled his feathers, and flew off. Also FYI, I was trying to get involved in the fight but It was hard to do as I was trying to put the other chickens in the coop, get the hen to safety, I didn't want to get hurt, I didn't want Bard to get hurt, and I didn't want any of the hens to get hurt. Oh and I forgot to mention that not only is Bard THE BEST at protecting the girls, but he is very sweet and cuddily. I HIGHLY recommend getting a barred rock rooster. (Hopefully the hawks ok, they are pretty tough, right???)
Hi guys- I need some help concerning Bard- I'm not sure where to post this. Bard has been struggling recently, he can't support his weight anymore. He's limping terribly, and can't run or fly anymore. When I let them out for their daily 1 hour free-range yesterday, Bard just lay (not laid 🤣) in the grass and couldn't catch up with the hens. I believe he may have broken his left leg, maybe in his last hawk fight (he's had 3 so far). I may call the vet but he's already costed me quite a bit in vet bills (infected cut from a hawk fight). He's not overweight and I don't feed free-choice- I give the 13 of them around 7 cups of feed + scraps and usually, there is some leftover. Bard always lets the hens eat first and doesn't eat like crazy. I won't cull- I'm vegetarian and I could never. Any advice would be appreciated! I love this rooster so much.
Note: the photo's from a while back.
Screenshot 2022-12-30 9.30.11 AM.png

Wow! Thats a crazy story Chicken Love! Up close and personal with a hawk you have been! I've seen plenty of hawks circling above but never witnessed one barrel down on my flock. When they do get too close, i alert my 5 hens by using a very specific voice. They always will take cover appropriately while i get between them and the 'monster'. Yesterday tho, Patience took the front line with me and wouldnt budge. She was right by my side ready for a fight. The others stayed frozen in place behind me until the threat was gone. Shes bottom of the pecking order, Patient is, but always the first one to protect, investigate and taste any new food item in question. The hawk was only there for about 15 seconds before slowly drifting away. We then scratched on as usual. 🐓❤️

That's how my sweet girl Noodle is. She's so sweet and timid, boron on the pecking list but first to try anything and the first to come running to me.

Wow! Thats a crazy story Chicken Love! Up close and personal with a hawk you have been! I've seen plenty of hawks circling above but never witnessed one barrel down on my flock. When they do get too close, i alert my 5 hens by using a very specific voice. They always will take cover appropriately while i get between them and the 'monster'. Yesterday tho, Patience took the front line with me and wouldnt budge. She was right by my side ready for a fight.
That's just incredible, you're top bird there, that's for sure
The others stayed frozen in place behind me until the threat was gone. Shes bottom of the pecking order, Patient is, but always the first one to protect, investigate and taste any new food item in question. The hawk was only there for about 15 seconds before slowly drifting away.
Good riddance.
Bob got a big flag up at one point to scare those things away

We then scratched on as usual. 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom