Bare backs no roosters!

Dlevesque001

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2022
I just read that chickens loose their back feathers from rooster but I don’t have one. My 3 Wyandottes all have bald backs! I watched them for quite awhile yesterday and saw one of the letting the other chickens peck at her back!! She just sat there! I know that we have a space issue and now that the ground is thawed, it will be rectified.
C95E3E89-EEF0-462B-9D39-4C7D6E8BA89D.png
83281D4F-163E-4AE4-A5F8-3B7CE8AB33BC.png
66014583-D1D4-4B40-95F1-B4ACBCDF9B6E.png

Last edited:
I just read that chickens loose their back feathers from rooster but I don’t have one. My 3 Wyandottes all have bald backs! I watched them for quite awhile yesterday and saw one of the letting the other chickens peck at her back!! She just sat there! I know that we have a space issue and now that the ground is thawed, it will be rectified.
Could you post pictures of the hens, and their coop?

I believe you just wrote what the issue is. Boredom. The feather picking will continue until there is something better to do.

This happened to my one Barred Rock and it got worse. I tried spraying BluKote; didn't help. What did help was a chicken saddle. My husband thought I was crazy for wanting to buy clothes for a hen but, you gotta do what you gotta do when things are getting worse. I ordered one off Amazon from Down Under chicken saddles. Very easy to use and dursble canvas and snaps.
Also, got them a Purina Flock Block. Seems to be much better.
1647949642160.png
1647949702402.png

Back
Top Bottom