Bare booties!

Sep 28, 2017
Upstate Ny
My two white leg horns, started laying a few weeks ago and now their booties are completely bare, and the few feathers they do have look really stragley and almost like they have pasty butt, but they dont, and there are no mites. Also there is no rooster. Anyone have any idea what I'd happening?

Probably feather picking which can happen due to protein deficiencies. Switching to a higher protein ration can help, 18-22% is best to avoid deficiencies. I use and All Flock or a non medicated grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

They are on an all flock feed now and they get oyster shell twice a week... I don't really know how to explain it, I will get a picture in the morning, their vent area is completely bare and neither have diarrhea but thats what their back ends look like. I'm at a complete loss. But they are acting fine and are still laying...

The other reasons for feather picking is boredom or not enough space. Oyster shells should be available always to avoid calcium deficiencies. They will consume them as necessary.

The bottom is a common place for birds to feather pick.

Ok, I will keep it available, :) thank you! It must be bordom, because the coop is pretty big. It's a two part with one side being a 6x8 square and a tunnel/walkway that's 2x3 foot connecting to a 5 foot round pen. And we are down to only 4 hens.

Back
Top Bottom