bare run

animallover2019

Chirping
Jul 6, 2019
hey! so i have 5 hens and thier run is almost bare of plants, im adding 8 more hens and am worried there gonna have nothing in there coop! has anyone tried planting the run seed mixes? we are thinking of trying some but are wondering how well they really work?:)
we have multiple roosts and stumps and they are free range! but we have an automatic door so when they get let out in the morning they have to stay in their run for about an hour, and i wanna make sure they can forage during that hour!

Last edited:
Hey! So i have 5 hens and their run is almost bare, I'm adding 8 more hens and am worried they're gonna have nothing in their coop! Has anyone tried planting the run seed mixes? We are thinking of trying some but are wondering how well they really work?:)
Are you asking what to plant, or what to use as a 'flooring' in the run? As in, wood chips, straw, hay...that sort of thing?

Put up some roosts and branches for the chickens to fly up onto. Also when you mow your lawn or pick weeds dump them in the chicken run for the chickens roof through.

we have multiple roosts and stumps and they are free range! but we have an automatic door so when they get let out in the morning they have to stay in their run for about an hour, and i wanna make sure they can forage during that hour. the lawn thing is a great idea!! i will have to try that!

im asking about plants or seed mixes for there run
A lot of comercial seed mixes have pesticides, fungicides, and other chemicals sprayed onto the seeds. If you want to plant any in the run, be careful of what you buy.

As far as actual plants, corn, sunflowers, leafy greens (broccoli, lettuce, kale, etc), squash, and lentils would be good choices.

I throw waste hay and lawn clippings into the coop and runs. I used to rake it neatly but now I just throw it in piles and let them rake it down themselves. Mine are also free ranging part of the time but sometimes they have time in the coop or run and need the entertainment. You can get a bale of hay at a feed store cheaply for lots of fun for chickens!

Are you planning to use grazing frames or rotating pastures/runs, or are you thinking of regrow grass/plant materials in the run like seeding a lawn? The first two would work, the last won't - chickens will tear up any growth before it ever gets anywhere.[/
^
This

They eat everything. Nothing can grow fast enough to survive.

i know, they are crazy:wee i saw some run seed mixes at the hatchery and have been thinking about getting some..... but am wondering if it really works

Back
Top Bottom