1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bared bottom hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Terrie Mac, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Here I am again with another piece to the puzzling condition of my 5 1/2 old big buff rock hen. (I posted last week but can't find the post) so to summarize:

The beginning:

blood on the poop board (no poop, some tissue)
    squishy, bloated belly
    falling, off balance
    yet eating and drinking

INITIAL TREATMENT:

brought inside home for 2 days
    warm bath
    yogurt
    apple cider vinegar in water

RESULT:
    finally laid an egg (2nd ever)
    walking okay
    put back into coop

END OF NEXT DAY:

Her bottom around her vent is plucked clean. It is not red, but still squishy. (I don't know if the squishy big bottom is typical of a large hen)

I've read a lot of threads concerning bare bottoms, but found no answers though it happens a lot.

It's getting cold now, wondering if she needs extra protection and if there is something anyone can tell me the about her plucked behind and what to do about it.

Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Two ways to find your old posts: Click on your name on the left of a post or on "profile" at the top of the page, then scroll down and click on "show all posts" or "show all topics." Or, go to the index page, scroll down to the bottom and click on "show your posts" on the left.

3. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Thanks Judy for the direction. I was able to find a previous post before but it's been a while and have since lost my way. This time around I only gave it about 5 minutes - which is actually quite a long time these days [​IMG] Any help/guidance for my hens dilemma?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by