1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bargain/YardFullO'Rocks Eggs-- Baby pics pg. 4!!! :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PaintedGemsRanch, Nov 16, 2009.

1. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    So last night I put 30 eggs on lockdown [​IMG] (24 from Bargain and 6 from Yard Full O' Rocks) Bargain sent 24 and 24 made it to lockdown!!! YEAHHHH!!!!!! Yard full O' Rocks sent 8 and 6 went to lockdown, the other 2 never developed from day one! So they werent viable... guess I would consider that a 100% too!!! Im soooo excited. I know not all hatches can be like thid but ill gladly take the ones that are!!!! Ill keep everyone posted on the pipping, zipping and hatching!! Be on the lookout on the 18th! Although dont be suprised if they are here on the 17th... due to high temps [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Good luck!!!![​IMG]

3. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Good luck with your hatch!!! [​IMG]

5. Georgiapea

Georgiapea Out Of The Brooder

I'm new to this stuff and don't know all the terminology. Could someone explain the meaning of "lockdown" please?

Georgia in Alabama

6. PaintedGemsRanch

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    Quote:Sure thing! Good question.. Lockdown starts on the 18th day the eggs are set (Eggs hatch on day 21). You remove the eggs from the turner (if you had one) if not you just stop turning the eggs all together. You up your humidity to around 65% - 70%. At least thats what I put mine at, others have different opinions, its really what works best for you (trial and error). You want to have it significantly higher then the first 18 days, I like mine no higher then 45 but no lower then 20, again others think differently. So all in all you stop turning and up humidity! [​IMG] Hope I didnt confuse you!

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    The term Lockdown is derived from the common belief that the last days before hatch one should open the incubator only in a very very critical situation. Opening and closing the bator can mess with humidity and as a consequence create some serious issues with respect to the chicks ability to get out of the egg. If the membrane around the chick dries it can literally shrink wrap the chick and cause it to be lost. Hence a lockdown

8. PaintedGemsRanch

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG] I feel like a fool... the most important part...... [​IMG]

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Granny is watching....Go babies, go babies go babies....wheww whoo!!!!!

Thanks for reminding me of lock down......

24 of 24..... I've gotta go kiss some hens and roosters for you!!!!!

Way to go....Very good Mama skills of you also!

Yeah Yeah Yea...... (Ooh I should be a bit softer doing the happy Granny in Bowdon dance.)

What do the babies want for Christmas????? Ooh,,,,, a little baby sister,,,,,mmmmm....hehehehe, Well you better tell Mama....I bet I know where she can get a few more eggs....

You know I'll be back checking on you......

[​IMG]

Have a blessed and happy lockdown and hatchout!!!!!

10. PaintedGemsRanch

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    Thanks Ms. Nancy!!! You need to get a banty business! Time for Silkies! My new addiction hahahahaha Im so happy, I hope every last one hatches!!! Id love to have more eggs for Christmas but hubby and I agreed no more babies this year (already have the bator packed away in the closet) .... but come spring time... WATCH OUT! haha I cant wait to show these babies off... lol I keep telling myself to stop looking in the bator that I have 2 more days but I cant help it hahaha Thanks for the good hatch vibes everyone!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by