Barn lime

On the deep litter - please use browns...not greens. Green is like adding in non-composted manure.

Here's something I do.

I contact tree services in the area - many will drop a load of wood chips when they are working in your area for free. The thing to note with the wood chips is that I make sure that the tree service only brings chips from items that are not poison (like yew). Usually they are working on regular pine, oak, maple, etc. Those would all be fine. Then they need to cure - I leave that pile until it starts to get worms in it. I usually let them over-winter or go at least 8 months before using. Then I bring loads over into the run and let the chickens spread them around. I also put all of the interior shavings right out onto the run from the coop/house.

I know that sounds like a long time, but it's worth it to get a pile and let it start curing.

While you're waiting for that pile to cure, use leaves, twigs, pine shaving/litter from the coop, etc.I have tried using fall leaves but they don't do quite as well for me. But they are great in the meantime!If you have grass clippings, spread them out on the driveway or somewhere where they can dry in the sun first. (I actually use those in the nest boxes...they love the dried grass from lawn mowing...their favorite in the nest box).

FYI. depending on where you live wood chips from the city or tree services can cause problems. I was using it for mulch from the city's free pick up site. Ended up with horrible poison oak and have been battling it in my yard for the past 7 years as it grew from that mulch. Awesome if you live where poison oak or ivy are not a big issue.

This is how I alleviate that problem. I don't get wood chips unless I know where they came from and specifically what kind of trees they are. I never pick up from a city site - nor will I take compost from any city site as they can have multiple poisons, pharmaceuticals, and poor quality food scraps that have been composted that can poison or even kill garden plants.

I have found a tree service that knows that I am using them around animals and that I don't want anything from areas that may have been sprayed with anything. They know that my property is run by organic principle. They know not to bring specific species that are poisonous to animals. This tree service brings me chips from residential areas and watches for items such as PI or PO. They always tell me exactly what kind of tree chips I'm getting.

It may sound like it would be impossible to find that but it's not as hard as you may think.

I totally prefer that the chips be from trees that we're removing from our own property and use those if we have any that need to be removed. But, of course, that isn't often, so I had to find a good source otherwise.

On the deep litter - please use browns...not greens. Green is like adding in non-composted manure.
I actually have a friend of the family that live almost across the street that in the tree business. I'm sure he won't ming hooking me up. Thanks for the advice.

Here's something I do.

I contact tree services in the area - many will drop a load of wood chips when they are working in your area for free. The thing to note with the wood chips is that I make sure that the tree service only brings chips from items that are not poison (like yew). Usually they are working on regular pine, oak, maple, etc. Those would all be fine. Then they need to cure - I leave that pile until it starts to get worms in it. I usually let them over-winter or go at least 8 months before using. Then I bring loads over into the run and let the chickens spread them around. I also put all of the interior shavings right out onto the run from the coop/house.

I know that sounds like a long time, but it's worth it to get a pile and let it start curing.

While you're waiting for that pile to cure, use leaves, twigs, pine shaving/litter from the coop, etc.I have tried using fall leaves but they don't do quite as well for me. But they are great in the meantime!If you have grass clippings, spread them out on the driveway or somewhere where they can dry in the sun first. (I actually use those in the nest boxes...they love the dried grass from lawn mowing...their favorite in the nest box).

Back
Top Bottom