Barn Progress ** Updates & Photos, Follow Along**

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
It's not much, but we've made a little progress on the barn. We're hoping to have our new chickens by the end of the month, so the clock is ticking over here. I'm posting two photos. One of the shed when we first looked at the house and another of what we accomplished this morning. We're now calling it the barn, since it'll be used for the animals.

Before:
2476379055_f509ced034.jpg

Today's progress:
2658708825_b6f6a87012.jpg

We removed all the burnable trash and raked the area. Hauled 8 leftover full garbage bags that were rotting. Tore down the 'kennel' enclosure they had there. Dumped out some leftover sand from the kids sandbox, I plan to get a few more bags so the chicks can dust bathe or what have you. I also got some measurements today and turns out... I'm a HORRIBLE guesstimator. Our chicken run will be 22ft by 31ft. The building itself isn't the 10x10 I had originally thought, but it's infact 13x13.

Guess that means I can get more animals
lol.png
Don't tell DH.

Last edited:
I wanted to add an updated picture. This is what it looks like as of 2 days ago. It rained yesterday, so we didn't get much done. DH is off this weekend, so we might work on it some more. It's coming along.

2680593420_daab962e21.jpg

I know this picture looks atrocious, but it's a work in progress. I raked/shoveled up 3 garbage cans full of glass, leaves, plastic, sheetrock chunks, tin cans, trash bags and other miscellaneous objects. That white lumber is the dog kennel that was there. We might use some of it to make the nesting boxes, but most of it's trash that needs to be burned. That insulation pallet still needs to be hauled to the house too. The run stretches out to where that ladder stands and will come to where that 2x4 is laying in the grass by the junk wood pile.

You are so fortunate to have that building ready to use. You've done a huge amount of work thus far and it's probably been the hardest work for the whole project ... Kudos to you!

Good luck getting it finished before those chicks arrive.

I know!
lol.png
I was thinking how many birds I could get in it before we even bought the place!

DH asked me last week if I'm losing my mind... I'm buying 30 chicks, hatching 2 dozen EEs, getting a dozen guinea eggs and adopting another shelter dog tomorrow. It's a zoo here, seemingly overnight.
lol.png
And it's only going to get worse... DH was bit by the bug too, since he came home from work and asked me if I wanted the free billy goats that him and a co-worker saw in the paper!!
roll.png
... and he was serious...

Hah, your building seems in a better state than ours... You think you're a bad guestimator?... I estimated our living room at 10x10, it's 17x13, I guestimated our building for the coop at 8x10... it's 17x12 LOL, that is a LONG way off.

We only have 15 chicks in the brooder, so it looks like next year we're getting 6 BO and 6 RIR... plus enough meatbirds to fill our freezer, but we have a second coop down by the barn for the meatbirds, the layers who are more like pets get the best accomodation, and we'll refit the old coop by the barn a bit for the meaties since they won't be hanging around too long.

Anyway, GREAT building.. I know what you mean about trash, we have a buttload of trash hanging out by the garage, plus an overflowing RhinoBag sitting on the lower lawn, PLUS a gigantic pile of construction rubble from the porch being done just this week... seriously, I need my own dump or something, but we're going to burn most of the old wood and burnable things, and keep alot of the old fencing that was at the front of our house to use as frames for the new apron that we have to pour for the chicken house, and to use the posts for our veggie patch.... I'm like a recycling maniac here.

That looks great! I love before and after photos. You can really tell you all have worked hard on it.
You are going to be at full capacity in no time at all at the rate you are going. And it isn't hard to do either.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom