Barnevelder anyone lets see them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope to get some good pics tomorrow when it is warm enough for everyone to come out of the coop! I'll run over to Kinkos and upload them.

Katie

This is the flock that has been imported
18281_barnevelder-hens-496.jpg

18281_grandson-feeding-barnevelders-496.jpg

18281_eggs-202r.jpg

Quote:
Thanks. I was hoping the red one was just a different variety of barnevelder. I see that the most popular type is the double-laced barnevelder, but it looks like there are also partridge, black, or silver barnevelders and maybe single laced? I've googled, but can't find pictures or descriptions of anything but the double laced.

While googling just now, I just found the following information regarding barnevelder varieties:
"There is another orange version that is quite charming called the Dark Brown which has been bred with Rhode Island Reds to give it a darker uniform color. This is a bird that is more for the collector that likes a chicken that is more fowl like in appearance."

http://www.chickenkeepers.co.uk/chicken-keeping.asp?sc=Barnvelder+Bantam paragraphs 10-12 talk about the varieties

The "dark brown" is also listed her on wikiepedia. I sure with there were pictures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnevelder

Maybe the breeder of my chicken was trying for something like the "dark brown" barnevelder variety? Their legs aren't bright yellow either, so maybe they are hatchery birds after all. Whatever they are, they're still pretty and we like them.

BlueHen - I went to your website and you have some beautiful birds. The rooster you first posted on this thread is also very pretty. It's really surprising to see how much the barnevelder rooster looks like a welsummer rooster when the hens don't look like each other at all. I really like your blue laced orpingtons.

I am wondering if, just possibly, bluehen's barnies are actually Wellie/barnie crosses?? Just a speculation, based on the appearance of the roo and the shafting on the breasts of the hens.....

I got my birds from darkeggs.com I think now they must of crossed them for the egg color. im am working on getting a rooster from the imported stock should be here in june

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom